PDA

View Full Version : VIDEO: Red Eagle discus lay eggs for the first time!

HarryDK
Fri Nov 18, 2016, 12:28 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTo-ccfdOH8&feature=youtu.be

I have her for just under a week, didn't expect her to do this, and even though my red melon show some interest in her, but they are not pair yet. He end up ate all her eggs, which almost made me cry.
I know the eggs won't hatch, but very sad still.
What would I do with her now, I dont think i have time to breed discus, but this is so tempting. I have 4 of them right now, 1 is under house arrest under the sump due to bad behavior but I ordered 10 more on the way, hope to find a mate for her.
Btw, this is a newly established tank with used media, havent finish with the hardscape and plan, but I am very excited. However, I am not an experienced breeder so I may not attempt to, please advice what should I do in this situation :(.

Sabrina
Sat Nov 19, 2016, 05:08 AM
House arrest lol Harry! Your made me laugh :D
I love your discus and im very jealous Harry... I would be sad too, id want babies!

sayid
Sat Nov 19, 2016, 08:55 AM
Hi Harry ;
There are ways to discourage the pair to breed but it should be done very cautiously otherwise you can kill your fish ,you can increase your total hardness GH very gradually and that will do it , but i would let them to do what they want to do and be merry .

HarryDK
Sat Nov 19, 2016, 11:54 AM
Hi Harry ;
There are ways to discourage the pair to breed but it should be done very cautiously otherwise you can kill your fish ,you can increase your total hardness GH very gradually and that will do it , but i would let them to do what they want to do and be merry .

Thank you, I think I will add a few more soon, then I will let them do what they want lol :D, when I got the hand of it, they will be going to 8-10ft tank

Sabrina
Mon Nov 28, 2016, 10:06 PM
Hi Harry,
How are they getting on? I am still the green eyed monster over your fish lol Is there still one under house arrest? Or is it back in with the others now? :)

HarryDK
Tue Nov 29, 2016, 01:44 AM
Hi Harry,
How are they getting on? I am still the green eyed monster over your fish lol Is there still one under house arrest? Or is it back in with the others now? :)

Hi Sabrina, they are still fine, the green eyed monster doing great and keep bullying his tank mates, well, there are 8 tank mates for him to bully now, he can have his pick @_@.
I have been fighting the nitrite war for the last 24 hours, new tank still, my friend keep bombarding me with new and young discus @_@ ( he gave me 5x 3inch melon 2 days ago) and I have spike the next days right when I though the tank fully cycled :(, i'm so worry about the new and smaller discus now, my reading is ammo 0.10 and nitrite about .5 after 2 x 30% wc, cant do bigger as I only have 200L water storage. I treat it with seachem safe.
They doesn't seem to care for now, but i'm sweating and cut off their food for now. If you know what is going to happen next, suggest please.
Hope i will make it out of this initial spike.

Sabrina
Tue Nov 29, 2016, 02:11 AM
Hi Harry,
Oh a Nitrite spike, this can harm your discus Harry so you really need to do water changes every day until it is gone. Read the instructions on the Seachem Safe and see if you can up the dose to help fight it. I had the same thing happen to me when my tank was new, my fish made it through it though so dont be too concerned just do water changes as often as you can and that will get rid of it. I use Prime, which says you can up the dose to 5 times normal dose in a nitrite emergency. So if you have Prime too, read the label and see what you can do ok? If you up the dose you will need to wait until the morning to test the water again and see if it helped, make sure you test it before you feed them anything....

Sabrina
Tue Nov 29, 2016, 02:16 AM
I also have Safe, i just read the bottle and it says you can use 4 times normal amount in an nitrite emergency, please read it again yourself to double check. But be careful with safe, it is highly concentrated!

HarryDK
Tue Nov 29, 2016, 05:20 AM
Safe is fairly new compare to Prime, but last a lot longer, I didnt go as far as 4 times, but did 3 last night and not as effective. May be i will have to go 4 tonight. I did 25% wc early in the morning before work, they look at me with those eyes as I didnt feed them, feeling guilty. Will do another 25% after work. Sh!t, my boss coming!

Sabrina
Tue Nov 29, 2016, 07:08 AM
Ok sounds good Harry, let us know how the test goes in the morning :)

sayid
Tue Nov 29, 2016, 07:55 AM
hi harry ; for the time being w/c is your friend ,go with more safe and half the food they get ,you will be fine , add a couple of air stone that will help your good bacteria to convert ammonia and nitrite , you will be fine .
sayid

HarryDK
Tue Nov 29, 2016, 12:27 PM
get back home today, nitrite jump off the roof. The fish seem not bother but I did a 40% w/c with the help of 4 soup pot. I manage to reduce it half, add some Safe, doesnt change up. I tried not to feed them, but those poor things staring at me for 3 hours and they won @_@, and i gave them a tiny portion each. I sent the 5-3 inches to QT just in case. There is nitrite still, about .5; let see how it goes tmr. Cant wait for this to end

sayid
Wed Nov 30, 2016, 08:39 AM
your fish can very easily withstand not eat any thing for 2 weeks so reduce their food and keep up the w/c .

HarryDK
Wed Nov 30, 2016, 12:42 PM
damn, water change wouldnt do much, I manage to reduce nitrite from 5 something to about 1+; cant get rid of these stuff. Wondering how long will it last. Nitrate still about 5, ammonia look like zero, just the nitrite really freaking me out. The wife staring at me with 300L water change 1-2 times daily .... please Nitrite GOD, gtfo :((

sayid
Thu Dec 01, 2016, 08:23 AM
. achievement 1 .you have got ammonia to zero .
. ..................2 .you have reduced nitrite to 1+.
in 1 or 2 days you can reduce your w/c to once a day ,keep your feeding to absolute minimum, make sure your ph does not go higher than 7.
Weldon so far

HarryDK
Thu Dec 01, 2016, 12:24 PM
ammonia may be near zero now, nitrite 0.25, nitrate under 10 may be too much wc. my PH has been stable since start 6.6-6.8, no huge swing, the driftwood does it job. Hopefully tomorrow test will make me smile.
My fish dont really give a damn about my effort :(, keep doing their stuff and dont seem to bother about the nitrite spike.
@sabrina: your favorite fish laid egg again during all this mess lol, may be because of her new bf, i dont know

Sabrina
Thu Dec 01, 2016, 10:27 PM
Harry im so glad to hear your water is getting better! Hopefully the nitrite goes away completely tomorrow..
Aww look at her with her eggs again lol Harry i think i need to adopt her! To me, she is the most beautiful discus i have ever seen :D

sayid
Fri Dec 02, 2016, 10:08 AM
Hi Harry;
Before i give you any further advice i want one of those babies ....... LOL only kidding .
You are out of immediate danger but you cant rest until your nitrite becomes zero which should happen within next 48 hours.
sayid

Sabrina
Fri Dec 02, 2016, 11:04 AM
Hey Sayid, im first in line thank you LOL
Imagine if she had ones that look just like her *heart*

HarryDK
Sat Dec 03, 2016, 02:31 PM
hmmm, I would love to give you the baby if they can make it lol, some monsters ate them all ! But well, they are unfertilized eggs, so ....; still have some nitrite today in the main tank and suddenly a huge spike in the refugee tank with all 5 smaller discus in it, luckily i found out early and fix the water, but their fins turn black and one is a bit sick now, getting better after 100%wc. I dont know how the spike happen, I fed them quite a bit as they are 3", but daily 60% w/c and still got spike

Sabrina
Sun Dec 04, 2016, 12:10 AM
Gosh, you are having a difficult time Harry. I hope things get better and all your fish will be ok!

sayid
Sun Dec 04, 2016, 12:20 AM
:confused:

sayid
Sun Dec 04, 2016, 04:43 AM
Hi Harry; what has probably happened was that you put 5 discus in a breeding tank at once and you are going through a mini cycling ,i am still scratching my head as why did you do that for ? any way you have to do w/c till your good bacteria catches up in your filter .i am sure you are familiar with how it works ,on the positive side think what you are going to do with all those lovely babies ,hint hint.
good luck
sayid

HarryDK
Sun Dec 04, 2016, 12:38 PM
Hi Sayid, I did that because the main tank has high nitrite back there :(, So i though I can evacuate the smaller fish :(, well, hope he will recover soon, my favorite small fish :(

Sabrina
Mon Dec 05, 2016, 09:49 AM
Harry, dont listen to Sayid and his hints about your babies, you know i am first in line hehehe
How are things today? Water any better? Ans is the little one ok?

HarryDK
Mon Dec 05, 2016, 11:54 AM
yeah, the water is great today, the little one look too depressing in his QT, I guess he just piss off because I took his peers away, so I toss him back to the main tank and she shine like a beast - his peppering nearly gone, and he is nearly clean now.
If the eggs ever hatch one day, I will send some babies to you both, I promise :P

Sabrina
Tue Dec 06, 2016, 01:12 AM
Oh great news Harry!!! And i will hold you to that promise :P

HarryDK
Tue Dec 06, 2016, 01:22 AM
THere is some trace of ammonia in the morning, barely noticeable as I can see some green in the tube, same with Nitrite, I think I cleaned the sump so hard on Sunday and drained all the waste out. Hope it will not break my cycle -.-, amen. I did it all because of my tiny Kuhli loach - needle size; sneak through the mesh and escape down under, took me 2 hours to find him and another 30 minutes to successfully catch him, sneaky little bastard way too fast :mad: . End up took out 20 kg of media

Sabrina
Tue Dec 06, 2016, 01:31 AM
LOL Harry, you have had your hands full lately!! I hope all the cleaning doesn't cause more spikes, it might though so keep and eye on water, you will be making API tests kits rich lol
Seeing as you only live a couple of hours away, im offering to take care of your beautiful fish in my tanks if you need help :p :P :P I dont hold any return policies though :p :P :P

HarryDK
Tue Dec 06, 2016, 04:50 AM
ew, I will contact BUPA now see if they will provide life insurance for my fish

Sabrina
Tue Dec 06, 2016, 06:08 AM
LOL i was only kidding!

sayid
Tue Dec 06, 2016, 09:59 AM
Hi Harry; please be careful with cleaning ,too much of good cleaning takes your good bacteria away and does more bad things than good ,the other thing is your kuhli loach ,probably not the most discus freindly tank mate especially at night they spook your discus and in the long run they stress them which means yes you guest it " sick discus " .
What are your other fish in the tank ,also please send us the photo of your whole tank .
cheers
sayid

HarryDK
Wed Dec 07, 2016, 04:41 AM
I will post a photo after work tonight.
The kuhli loach was given to me, so no choice, thus there are only 3 of very very small 1 and my discus love to chew on them sometime lol, split right out and the loach was like swim away slowly. I have night moonlight for them and they swarming in a group of 10 overnight.
I have about 3-40 Neon, 5 rummy nose, 5 flying fox, 7 cories, 2 spiney eel who live permanently under the sand, may be a few mosquito lav hiding under the moss in the morning today, I may not see them again.

HarryDK
Wed Dec 07, 2016, 12:55 PM
Here are some photos

Sabrina
Wed Dec 07, 2016, 10:54 PM
Great photos Harry, The fish look awesome. I see a couple of rocks in the tank, i read on another site that rocks increase the PH in tanks, where as the driftwood keeps the PH stable.. So if your PH climbs up you know its the rocks. I like the little eal in the last photo, too cute haha

HarryDK
Thu Dec 08, 2016, 01:00 AM
These are river rock and they are PH neutral, so that is not the concern :), thus my driftwood need some weight ... so :(

sayid
Thu Dec 08, 2016, 08:38 AM
Harry ; this is a seriously minimalisticaly cool tank with attitude . well done.

HarryDK
Thu Dec 08, 2016, 12:20 PM
Thanks Sayid, I will take that compliment :D, I will sell those small one as soon as I can fill the tank with red face, fiamma rosa and red eagle, because their light color weaken my desire visual impact, gotta love the taller tank ^__^

Sabrina
Thu Dec 08, 2016, 11:49 PM
Oh cool, i didnt know you could get PH neutral ones! :)

Sabrina
Sat Aug 12, 2017, 02:05 PM
HarryDK are you still around these parts? Id love to hear how you and your fish are going.. :)