PDA

View Full Version : discus rubbing on objects

bianca22
Fri May 29, 2015, 10:17 AM
How normal is it for discus to rub on objects in the tank and what can it mean? Lose of some slime coat? Itchy from something? Any idea what I should do ? Attached is a picture of them and their poo

bianca22
Fri May 29, 2015, 10:30 AM
Pictures of their poo, color, shape....

mattgoanna
Mon Jun 01, 2015, 10:00 AM
I suspect you have gill flukes but it could also be something in the water impacting their gills. You also have worms looking at their poo. Some other members may be able to talk about Kasuri wormer.
What is your pH? Most black gravel will drive up your pH.

bianca22
Mon Jun 01, 2015, 12:22 PM
PH is 6.8 all water is testing fine. 3 out for 5 discus seem fine. Nice color and eating good. The other two are not normal colors and hiding a lot. I have meds for worms its just trying to find out what kind of worms they have. Do discus rub on things because of worms and will the other get it if they don't already . thanks

Nabes
Sat Jun 20, 2015, 09:36 AM
if you have gill flukes drop the temp to 25 because the parasites take longer to reach adult hood so treating them is much better

Nathan
Tue Jun 30, 2015, 01:39 PM
sorry im late to the thread. Discus will occasionally rub up against objects but if they are doing it constantly then you are likely to have some sort of parasite. flukes is generally the main culprit.

How are they now?

bianca22
Thu Jul 02, 2015, 11:13 AM
Doing great. Its good to have had experience in the past. I lost 5 discus a few months ago because I didn't know what signs to look for and now I do. Having the right medication on hand helps a lot too. A big difference with this new set up is an undergravel filter which is doing my tank wonders. Also getting all my new discus in one go from the same person.-Private breader.20987

Nathan
Thu Jul 02, 2015, 02:33 PM
They look great.

Always a great idea to get them from the same place