PDA

View Full Version : Preventative Worming discus and flukes

shakadog
Thu Apr 30, 2015, 01:08 PM
What is the general opinion on worming discus with a product like kusuri wormer plus on a regular basis as a preventative. My feeling is not to.

Is it a good product and one that is worth having in the emergency kit as a worst case?

mattgoanna
Fri May 01, 2015, 12:21 PM
If you are bringing in new plants and fish it is not a bad idea. I worm every few months.

shakadog
Sun May 03, 2015, 11:24 AM
What do you use to worm please?

mattgoanna
Mon May 04, 2015, 11:29 AM
I use AZOO discus wormer.

jimstreet
Tue May 05, 2015, 08:36 AM
Hey Matt, can you elaborate on the 'Azoo' brand? I've never heard of it and they have some interesting products. Where do you source it?

mattgoanna
Tue May 05, 2015, 09:58 AM
AZOO discus anti endoparasites with metronidazole, levamisole and menbendazole
AZOO freshwater anti Protozoa - no ingredients but it kills flukes
I get them from NewLife aquarium
The AZOO triple black water is also great for bacterial infections etc

Livingfish78
Wed May 06, 2015, 10:41 AM
Hi There,

100% you should deworm your discus. I use Kusuri wormer every 4 weeks and I haven't lost any discus for a long time...I buy it from ebay at $42.95 for 20G packet which is the biggest you can buy and lasts for ever

shakadog
Thu May 07, 2015, 01:20 AM
Thanks, I have actually ordered 2 packs of the Kursuri Wormer Plus and it should arrive in the next day or two. My fish are looking fine at present and doing what they are meant to be doing. I am looking to get some more fish in the next week or two so was thinking of waiting until I get the next batch before I do a treatment.

All fish are coming from the same wholesaler and LFS so should reduce chance of an issue but obviously not eliminate it completely.

Do you need to turn off UV or anything with this product, I think it says you don't but is that also the experience and do you know if it affects the bacteria in your filter? It says it doesn't but ive read some people say it does wipe out your filters bacteria, which wouldn't be good at all.

Thanks again for the feedback.