PDA

View Full Version : Can I keep discus in my new aquarium set up?

Ru2on
Thu Jan 23, 2014, 11:30 PM
I am a beginner and asked husband for a fish tank for my birthday ..at the momet it's just running the water through while I decide what I want . My son whose had fish for years is telling me to get tetras or angel fish . But I keep coming back to Discus fish they are BEaUtIFuL. He says mum they r too high maintenance and will die on you .. So... Is there any point in keep looking at discuss or should I move on ..
I purchased white quartz and pebbles for the bottom of the tank yesterday and an extra bubble thing ..but still hesitating in putting them in as I read discus like sand and not so much movement. (So am stuck doing nothing)

This is the set up for there Blue planet all in one thing I have :

All our aquarium filters are adaptable and you can place various styles and types of filter media inside to suit your application and fish types.
Classic 70

Model: EG545 (Rectangle Aquarium)
Aquarium Dimensions: 58 x 32 x 42.5cm (LxDxH)
Water Capacity: 70 Litres
Pump Capacity: 550 L/hr
Wattage: 6 watts
Lamp: 20watt Bulb(inclusive)

Blue Planet aquariums come complete with a fully pressurized, 3-stage filter and waterpump, on-top of the aquarium unit. Adjustable flow regulator to suit various fish types or as required. Tanks are suitable for either Fresh & Saltwater fish. For this size aquarium we recommend limited saltwater types of fish.

Filter box includes; wool, charcoal and bio-balls.
Hood lifts for easy access and cleaning.

Will a few go in my tank.?
Are they too fiddly and high maintenance for a beginner who doesn't want to spend ages on maintenance?
Should I move on ..and if so any other suggestion?
Fish tank is in my bedroom I want it to be a calmer for my severe sleep insomnia :(

mattgoanna
Fri Jan 24, 2014, 11:46 AM
The tank is too small for discus. You should have at least 150 to 200 liters for a pair. I would play with a few other fish to start with while you do some research on discus. You can always get a larger tank in a few months and get some. They are hard work.