PDA

View Full Version : Mosiac Turq or lepord turq

chris
Mon Apr 11, 2005, 11:53 AM
Hi I was reading DiscusD thread in the Classifieds. Hes selling a Mosiac turq. Ive owned this Female for over a year. I bought her as a Lepord turq.
I think its the same strain what do you reckon :?:

Merrilyn
Mon Apr 11, 2005, 02:29 PM
Well I'm gonna stick my neck out here, and probably get my head bitten off (but hey, I've been wrong before and still lived thru it) but my understanding of a leopard spot was that all the red is in spots, not some spots and some stripes.

Some spots and some stripes will make it a mosaic not a leopard spot. I wonder if your fish was actually a cross between a leopard spot and a turquoise. That could explain the name. JMHO

Merrilyn
Mon Apr 11, 2005, 02:31 PM
Whatever the name, it's still a beautiful fish LOL

Dee
Mon Apr 11, 2005, 04:39 PM
Hi Chris,

Here's a pic of what my Mosaic Turq will look like once he colour's up fully ... Very similar to what you have :wink: I agree with Merrilyn regarding leopard spot discus, they tend to have very defined spotting with less stripes. Just my 2 cents worth :D

Cheers,

Dee :)

sunshinediscus
Mon Apr 11, 2005, 08:31 PM
Nice looking discus Chris. They definately have leopard discus blood in them but it would be hard to say exactly what they are bred from. It is possible they are a turquoise x leopard but my guess is they are bred from pure leopards but did not show the pattern the breeder was aiming for and they were reclassified. The leopard discus was originally developed using red turquoise crossed with rsg to make red diamond, then crossed again with rsg. The spots are the intended aim but there are many variations that have been developed and now we see quite a few types. My favourite type are leopard mosaics.

chris
Tue Apr 12, 2005, 12:16 PM
HERES A PIC OF HER BROTHER BOUGHT AT THE SAME TIME.
ITS HER BROTHER/BOYFRIEND IF THATS LEGAL :!:
THEY SPAWNED RECENTLY WITH WRIGGERS :P :P
WHAT DO THE PROS RECKON TURQ OR LEPORD SPOTTED.
ITS STARTING TO MAKE SENSE NOW.

wild_amazon
Wed Apr 13, 2005, 02:36 AM
I am still learning. If the fish in the last picture all stripes with no spotting will it be called red turquoise or green turquiose?

Merrilyn
Wed Apr 13, 2005, 06:47 AM
Well, correct me if I'm wrong here Rod, but this one one looks to be showing more of the turquoise pattern, but still carrying the leopard spot gene. Bred with her brother, you could see maybe 50/50 leopard spot in the fry. Taking a female from that spawn and breeding back to the male would increase the chances of getting more leopard spot fry.

sunshinediscus
Wed Apr 13, 2005, 07:29 AM
Hi Merrilyn, My experience breeding spotted discus is not that strong. I've played around crossbreeding rsg to red turks and red diamonds, also red diamonds to red turks and i've ended up with mostly red turk looking fry. There are some fry from my experiments that are definately spotted but to be honest the number is very low and inconsistent. I have been told by some breeders that have bred them much more than me that the secret is to use females that are fully spotted to have a chance getting a lot of spotted babies. But even the pros who breed them get it wrong all the time, i have seveal large leopard discus here that looked very spotty when young but are now red turks. These were very expensive top line discus i bought from Penang as well, in the hope of getting excellent strains. But at the end of the day they are just red turks that are inferior to my own red turk strain. My guess is the spots are highly ressesive and i'd guess less that 10% from a spawn are as spotty as the parents which would explain why they are still so expensive considing the amount of years the strain has been around. look at the bd's, they were developed around the same time and yet we see great quality conforming ones all the time yet even reasonably good spotted discus are very rare.

Merrilyn
Wed Apr 13, 2005, 08:19 AM
Thanks Rod, I knew you'd be able to tell us :wink: