PDA

View Full Version : White worms

boydie
Thu Aug 01, 2013, 03:15 AM
Does anyone use them to feed to there discus?
I'm trying to find some but can't find any.
If someone knows where I can get them please let me know.
Cheers Marty

swifto
Thu Aug 01, 2013, 09:58 AM
Don't u mean blood worms c your lfs

boydie
Thu Aug 01, 2013, 11:02 AM
Na white worms.

Nathan5
Mon Sep 23, 2013, 02:34 PM
Also looking for white worms please if someone has some to sell pm me

Hooked
Tue Sep 24, 2013, 08:28 AM
Hi guys,

are they the white "micro worms" that you are looking for, for raising fry? Or if not I'm interested to know what they are as are unfamiliar to me. Thanks for any info,

Cheers

Nathan5
Wed Sep 25, 2013, 12:22 PM
No not microworms white worms are much larger perfect size for discus above 1 month and adults and very easy to culture a constant supply of live food but very hard to find they use to have them in my LFS in Newcastle but there supplier has gone out of business

Hooked
Thu Sep 26, 2013, 09:59 AM
Hi,

Thanks for that Nathan5, they sound great, very interesting. I'll look into it over here.

Cheers

Hooked
Thu Sep 26, 2013, 12:34 PM
Hi guys,

Is this them?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhWPNhI8iiU

Cheers

Nathan5
Thu Sep 26, 2013, 01:38 PM
Yes that's them

Hooked
Sat Sep 28, 2013, 12:46 PM
Hi Guys,

I've asked in the Perth Cichlid Society Forum over here and picked up some interesting info.

The below was kindly offered up by Sydad,

Quote....
"White worm cultures are available from time to time, but are seldom seen in aquarium shops. Rather they can be occasionally be obtained from other aquarists. I personally do not know of any available at the moment, but this does not mean that they are not around. The term "white worm" can apply to a number of worms, usually of the species Enchytraeus (Enchytraeid worms).

I have often kept such cultures in the past. The worms reach a maximum length of about 30mms,(depending on the exact species), with a diameter of up to 1.5mms; so they are somewhat smaller than aquatic black worms. They are relatively easy to culture during winter months, but require cooling during warmer months. Cultures crash readily if the temp. exceeds 20 degrees C. This requirement for cooler temperatures tends to limit their ready availability.

White worms are a good food source, but care is required in their feeding to fishes, with a maximum of 2-3 feedings per week. Exceeding this tends to cause fatty degeneration of fishes' livers due to the high fat and carbohydrate levels found in the worms.The popular dwarf white worm, known as Grindal worms are often available, and will tolerate higher culture temp. conditions; their usefulness as a food is limited by their smaller size (as is the case with micro worms), but they are a good intermediate food for larger fry, juveniles and small fish species. Some ot the better Aquarium stores, such as Aquotix, usually carry Grindal worm cultures.

Syd." ....... Unquote

Also this below from Oliver, The owner of Aquotix, one of Perth's best large local fish shops'

Quote....
"You will often find the common white worm in earthworm cultures... You just have to dig around a bit to get a few and start your own from there.
The Grindal worms from Aquotix were originally found in my backyard seedling mix where I was trying to strike some cuttings.... Only started with 4 worms, but still going after 10 plus years...." Unquote

Hope the info helps,

Cheers

Merrilyn
Fri Oct 04, 2013, 01:42 PM
Bird fanciers also use them to feed finches and canaries. That may be another source, but remember they are very fatty, so occasional feeding is the rule.

boydie
Thu Dec 26, 2013, 02:59 AM
Haven't been on here for a while.
What are small earth worms like to use as food 2/3 times a week??

ILLUSN
Thu Dec 26, 2013, 11:03 AM
if you can get a culture they work very well, back in 1986-1988 dad and I raised many a successful spawn from our turks and browns on them, they were great for helping to condition mum and dad. we had the best results with 3L ice cream tubs in the fridge and changing the bread every morning.

unfortunately we lost our cultures when Dad had to do his masters and I was 9 and didn't have the attention span to maintain them. Your best bet would be a contact at the cichlid society or a member of ANGFA as they would maintain cultures.

I would not advise shipping until winter as the heat will kill them in no time.

Good luck.