PDA

View Full Version : Water conditions help please

needspeed73
Tue Mar 12, 2013, 10:56 AM
I lashed out and bought an API master kit and GH/KH.
I tested the tap water - unrested
pH Ammonia Nitrite Nitrate GH KH
7.4 0.25 0 0 107.4 3

Then i tested established 3ft planted driftwooded tank with discus...
7.4 0.25 0 0 107.4 3

Then i tested 4 day old 4ft planted driftwooded tank with filter that had been running in tandem with 3ft tank for a week
7.4 0.25 0 0 107.4 3

Now i know im new to this BUT how are they all the same?
Everytime i changed testing samples the equipment was washed in clean water and shaken dry.
My discus are happy and healthy, (Photo) but the pH needs to be dropped... doesnt it?
If my tap water is always high do i need co2?

Any help is appreciated

Ghoti
Tue Mar 12, 2013, 08:03 PM
The ph is higher than what the text books would recommend, but your discus will be fine. If you want then to breed you would need the ph to drop.

The ammonia reading is what should be concerning you. Its not good to have ammonia present and no nitrite or nitrate. To me that says your tanks have not yet cycled.

How long has your 3 foot been established? If a month or more how often do you clean your filter and do you use water from the tank?

Cheers,
Scott

needspeed73
Tue Mar 12, 2013, 10:25 PM
Scott
The established tank is now 9 months old.
I have cleaned the filter twice. Is there a recommended filter clean cycle?
The 3 foot tank was left for 4 weeks before i put fish in it, as i knew of cycling tanks.
The Discus ARE happy, no stress bars, eat well etc. They each have their own personalities and the higher pH doesnt seem to be affecting them. When they move to the 4 foot tank i would like to get it right and maybe some babies. That would be nice.
I have just re-read the api ammonia instructions and it says leave for 5 mins...... Hang 5.....3 foot tank.....Hang another 5.... New 4ft...
3 Foot is 0. Duh
4 foot is between 0 and .25 - on a white piece of paper. You could call it either way.
So the next question is how long does it take for the cycle to start in a new tank. The 4 foot has been running since Saturday. no changes, surely its not because i ran the filter in the cycled tank for a week??

Thanks Again
Ian

Ghoti
Wed Mar 13, 2013, 04:01 AM
Is there a recommended filter clean cycle?

I've seen a few theories, from weekly to monthly, to only when flow is affected. Personally I run two filters on each tank, and alternately clean them monthly so each filter gets cleaned every second month, but some months I forget :oops:

I have just re-read the api ammonia instructions and it says leave for 5 mins...... Hang 5.....3 foot tank.....Hang another 5.... New 4ft...3 Foot is 0. Duh
4 foot is between 0 and .25 - on a white piece of paper. You could call it either way.
That's better. And indeed I would expect the 4 footer to have some ammonia if its only been running since Saturday. The only true answer to how long does it take to cycle is "it depends". I would expect 2 - 4 weeks, though some swear using products such as Seachem Stability shorten this time. I prefer to use an already cycled filter or do as you have and run the new filter in an established tank to accelerate bacteria colonisation.

You should find nitrates present in the water of a cycled tank. As you are most likely aware, "cycling" the tank refers to establishing the nitrogen cycle, i.e. ammonia converting to nitrites, nitrates converting to nitrates. The nitrates have nowhere to go unless you're running a very heavily planted tank, some fancy filtration (e.g. a fluidised bed filter) or doing many large water changes.

Patience & perseverance are the keys!

Cheers,
Scott

needspeed73
Wed Mar 13, 2013, 04:30 AM
Thanks Scott,
I had "budgeted" on 4- 6 weeks to cycle tank and was hoping sooner. Only time will tell....
I have contacted Adam from Aquascape (have i broken sponsor rule?) and stitched up a CO2 system to arrive in 2-3 weeks.
That will add a little time to the adding Discus timeline as i dont want to kill anything if i dont get it right and over CO2 it!! And i will need to adjust when fish are added anyway. Might need some more guidance when that comes closer.
OR Should i transfer fish that will have same water conditions in both tanks and then gradually introduce and raise CO2 levels/ reduce pH????

AHhhh more questions.
Daily monitoring in the near future of the new tank is the important bit now..

Thanks Again
Ian

Ghoti
Wed Mar 13, 2013, 08:17 PM
Adding CO2 is fine with fish in the tank. Just make sure you are home for the day, start off at 1bps and increase slowly through the day. If the fish start hanging around the top of the tank back it off a little.

Oh, and make sure you have the lights on when doing it so your plantsare actively consuming CO2 so you get the balance right.

Cheers,
Scott