PDA

View Full Version : What's best food

boydie
Mon Sep 24, 2012, 12:19 AM
Hey all I'm heading overseas next month for two and a half weeks and my mother in law is going to feed my discus and a next door neighbour is gong to do some water changes for me.
What would the best food to use while I'm away they are only young fish.
Cheers Marty

Duckess
Mon Sep 24, 2012, 02:31 AM
Corn chips lol if your mate is going to be doing less wc,s than you normally would id feed them dry foods like a tropical flake and some spectrum discus peletts something that won't dirty up their water to much like beef heart or blackworms etc

Bob Daniel
Mon Sep 24, 2012, 02:31 AM
Freeze dried black worms! It is hard to overfeed them and they don't mess the water too much (like beef heart).

Ghoti
Mon Sep 24, 2012, 06:47 AM
2.5 weeks - I'd suggest something like Sera Discus Granules and a suitably small scoop. With the granules you could even consider an auto-feeder though you'd want to check it first.

Cheers,
Scott

boydie
Mon Sep 24, 2012, 08:50 AM
yeah got a auto feeder

swampy1972
Mon Sep 24, 2012, 09:42 PM
I'd be more inclined to use a small spoon of an appropriate size for the number of fish you have - something like a baby's spoon for example.

From experience, I've found that you need to be able show your helper EXACTLY what "one scoop" looks like.. Having to travel frequently with work, I'm often welcomed home by a cloudy tank and lost fish - and that's with my wife caring for them and she sees me feed them everyday!! :(

Ghoti
Mon Sep 24, 2012, 09:55 PM
Another idea is to grab a couple of those 7 day pill boxes. You put the right amount of food in each daily partition so they only need to pop the top and pour it in.

Cheers,
Scott

boydie
Tue Sep 25, 2012, 02:58 AM
Ghoti I like that idea and swampy I know exactly what you mean