PDA

View Full Version : Do wild discus go with bred in captivity discus?

barbarolli
Fri Apr 01, 2005, 11:27 AM
Do thee two types go together?. I have secured some good prices for some wild discus. Are there any special requirememnts I Should know about

Proteus
Fri Apr 01, 2005, 11:44 AM
Wild type, or Wild caught???

if they are Wild caught, dont mix them with ANYTHING!!!

wild_amazon
Sat Apr 02, 2005, 02:31 AM
I am planning to get some wild discus in few weeks time.
Can you tell me why I can't mix wild caught discus with anything?
Do you mean don't mix them with tank bred discus or any other fish ie neon tetras etc?

Proteus
Sat Apr 02, 2005, 02:46 AM
Wild caught Discus are prone to disease, and may carry parasites that tank bred species do not have...

wild_amazon
Sat Apr 02, 2005, 03:08 PM
Ok, I understand now. It is critical to de-worm wild discus?

kevkoi
Sat Apr 02, 2005, 03:39 PM
I hope you have a good batch if they are wild caught. I also hope the importer has conditioned them well. They often come very very skinny and are hard to start feeding. Live food might have to be the go to start with.

Good luck.

kev

sunshinediscus
Sat Apr 02, 2005, 07:29 PM
Yes wild discus go well with domesticated discus after the quarintene period. They are no different to keep or breed than a domestic.

wild_amazon
Sun Apr 03, 2005, 01:53 AM
How long should be the quarantine period on the top of the mininum 2 weeks quarantine period in the importer's tank?
Do you guys medicate & de-wrom wild discus before you sell them or should the buyer do this himself?
I have setup a new 4x2x2 tank (only 1 week old) and when it's cycled I am going to get wild caught discus and used the tank as their quarantine tank too.

sunshinediscus
Sun Apr 03, 2005, 08:00 PM
How long should be the quarantine period on the top of the mininum 2 weeks quarantine period in the importer's tank?
Do you guys medicate & de-wrom wild discus before you sell them or should the buyer do this himself?
I have setup a new 4x2x2 tank (only 1 week old) and when it's cycled I am going to get wild caught discus and used the tank as their quarantine tank too.

1. I like to Q the fish for a further 4 weeks, then after that period add a cpl of discus from your existing stock and observe for 2 more weeks. If no diseases or problems arise then you can be 99% sure there are no harmful pathogens.

2. Personally i do not medicate and deworm while they are in Q room unless the fish are telling me they need it. I do not believe in pretreating just in case there is a disease and burdening the fish with chemicals. What other people do i have no idea so if i was you i would assume that nothing is done.

3. 4 x 2 x 2 is a very good sized discus tank, good luck with your wilds.

Rod

wild_amazon
Wed Apr 06, 2005, 03:43 AM
Thanks for the info Rod.

Now I am in the process of setting up a planted tank that will also used as a quarantine tank. I just bought a 200 liters drum to age water and I will build a box around it and put a 2'x2' tank on the top of it.
I been reading how people lost their fish after they introduced wild fish.
I prefer to wait for 4 weeks quarantine and not use chemical. Probably I can increase the temp to increase metabolic rate and clean their system faster.