PDA

View Full Version : 80% RO 20% tap

Robbieb81
Mon Apr 23, 2012, 08:31 PM
Hi all,

This is my first post on here!! Woohoo ;)

I've search the forum for the answer b4 hand but wasn't able to find the exact answer.

Well, my question is.... I have 8 juvenile discus and use 80% ro 20% treated tap water with seachem prime. I've just check my ph with an api test kit and it looks like its 7.6. I've had my discus since sept last year and have had some good growth with them. I feed homemade beef heart mix, tubifex, flake, brine shrimp and ocean nutrition discus food. I do 3 30% water changes a week. Should I try and lower my ph or should I just be happy with it?

I'm not keeping wild discus so I kinda know it's not as critical but I read someone's thread about them lowering their ph and the colour on the discus really popped and they seemed happier.

What should I do?

Cheers

Rob

mumafish
Mon Apr 23, 2012, 09:11 PM
Hi Rob, welcome to the site.

I feel that a stable PH is more important than trying to maintain one.
I have reared young discus in a PH of 7.6 with great growth and colour.

The water quality and good nutrition will get the results you are looking for.

Search the site for the best way to lower PH when it comes to breeding time.

Robbieb81
Mon Apr 23, 2012, 09:23 PM
Thanks for replying. That's good news!

I was thinking about using pure ro and using a product like seachem or Kent to remineralise the water, but it was getting too confusing.

ILLUSN
Tue Apr 24, 2012, 01:09 AM
leave it stable , if you get a disease outbreak you can lower the pH as a measure to help kill off the bugs.

if your not breeding i wouldn't worry about RO at all.

Robbieb81
Tue Apr 24, 2012, 08:19 AM
Thank you

Nev
Wed Apr 25, 2012, 01:29 AM
Unless you live in Adelaide or somewhere with similar poor quality water l think the ro water is a bit of over kill.
Just keep doing everything else you've been doing as advised above.