PDA

View Full Version : Some of My Pets

Hiro
Thu Dec 15, 2011, 01:28 AM
here are some pics to critique on. The white one has a small opaque dot on its fin, dunno what it is. It hasn't grown any...

Hiro
Thu Dec 15, 2011, 01:30 AM
Just a few more pics only of the discus.

axl
Thu Dec 15, 2011, 04:03 AM
Wow 2 of those fish are seriously sick, you need to start treating them straight away. Have you had any experience in keeping discus before???
They shouldn't be dark like that, i reckon 1 of those fish is past saving, they have got hex.

I hate seeing fish like that

Merrilyn
Thu Dec 15, 2011, 05:37 AM
Whoa ....hold on there axl. Yes the red is seriously dark, but remember it's over a black substrate and that will affect it's colour. Also the lighting will have a big effect on what a photo looks like.

Hiro, can you get some better photos, using flash if possible.

swampy1972
Thu Dec 15, 2011, 08:54 AM
At least the first 2 in your second set of pics are in a very bad way.. Good luck nursing them back.

swampy1972
Thu Dec 15, 2011, 08:59 AM
At least the first 2 in your second set of pics are in a very bad way.. Good luck nursing them back.

axl
Thu Dec 15, 2011, 11:30 AM
im not talking about the first 2 pics they look like nice discus, those fish in the last 2 photos look seriously sick.

You can see that cant you Merrilyn?

Hiro
Thu Dec 15, 2011, 12:05 PM
I bought my first discus in April this year, for the first time.
The first one is healthy, and not dark in real life, it's just the way the photo was taken, he was hard to get a picture of cos he kept coming right up to the glass. I wasn't using a flash.
Axl. It hurts to see any fish sick whether it's a discus or not in my tank, I understand. My introduction will answer all of your comments and curiosities.
Every fish's diet is very robust, and I am treating for bacteria atm. None of them will be lost at this stage unless I make some mistake. Their faeces are a good colour, they eating well, they are interactive-not hiding. So aside of some external issues I am treating for, it makes me happy that I can turn their wellbeing around after what was a difficult period in real life.
Swampy, not sure if your comment is written with a pessimistic sarcasm or not. Thanks for your input anyhow... They will get better.
The white diamond is the healthiest, very white & super clear sheen to it. Umm, the dark ones have always been dark since little, they are dark deep blue colour, it may be the no flash and wat not that is not bringing their depth of blue out. The first dark one is the dominant one and largest. I haven't noticed any signs/symptoms of Hex.
I don't know much, but all I can now perceive is some external bacterial infections, which is being treated.
Will take pictures with flash tmr....

swampy1972
Fri Dec 16, 2011, 05:17 AM
Swampy, not sure if your comment is written with a pessimistic sarcasm or not. Thanks for your input anyhow... They will get better.

No sarcasm intended. I would like to see them come back to good health, because believe it or not, they are unwell. It's not due to the use of a flash or not for your pics.
Choose to trust the judgement of those of us that have seen a sick fish before - or not.

Merrilyn
Fri Dec 16, 2011, 10:27 AM
im not talking about the first 2 pics they look like nice discus, those fish in the last 2 photos look seriously sick.

You can see that cant you Merrilyn?

Yes I can certainly see what you're talking about. The two dark ones look like red turquoise on my monitor, but I can also see that the lighting is not good for photos. Hiro has also mentioned that he's treating them for a bacterial condition at the moment. That could also account for the darkening.

Hiro, everyone on this forum has the best interests of the fish at heart. If you can possibly get some flash photos this weekend, I think that will put everyone's mind at ease.

Hiro
Fri Dec 16, 2011, 10:33 PM
Here is a pic I found back in July. The two in the centre facing each other are the same two you folks are talking about. I had to downsize the pic, but in actual size you can clearly see their true colour back then. Always have been dark blue, that's why we bought them-they were unusual colour. I had MH lighting then, but now moved to 200w LED's.
Will get on to some pics today once tank lights come on...

Hiro
Sat Dec 17, 2011, 03:29 AM
Here are the pics as requested. not sure if it's an improvement in quality.

Hiro
Sat Dec 17, 2011, 03:30 AM
#2 Little Blacky.

swampy1972
Sat Dec 17, 2011, 09:33 AM
The new pics only serve to re-affirm my original opinion. All the best getting them well again.

swifto
Sat Dec 17, 2011, 10:24 AM
The second pic of the darker 1 I would cull

axl
Sat Dec 17, 2011, 01:37 PM
Woooowwww those discus are seriously sick probably past saving. They are very under sized and very dark. Need to treat with metro and there is plenty of information on this forum that will help you.

Nev
Sat Dec 17, 2011, 08:37 PM
Sorry have to agree with everyone else.
What are you feeding them?
Also angels and discus are a bad mix.

nevsfish
Sat Dec 17, 2011, 11:08 PM
i would have to agree that discus looks seriously sick,and also discus and angels dont mix.angels feed very fast where discus are more laid back and feed slowly.also is that planetaria worms or is that food particals .planetaria worms are a sign that the aquarium needs more water changes and maybe a good cleaning of the glass.regards lawrence

Hiro
Sat Dec 17, 2011, 11:15 PM
That is food particles. It was feeding time.
They been those colours since we bought em, which means ur all telling me I bought sick fish past saving still living 8 mths later.
'IF' they change colour, I will return. Otherwise, sayonara.

aussieant32
Sun Dec 18, 2011, 01:01 AM
hope they survive, people are just trying to help.

They do look really unhealthy though, even just the fins look awful.

You obviously don't believe this so lets just hope for the fishes sake you are right and everyone else is wrong

swampy1972
Sun Dec 18, 2011, 01:56 AM
They been those colours since we bought em, which means ur all telling me I bought sick fish past saving still living 8 mths later.

I for one haven't told you that they are beyond saving, but they are not healthy.

I've been keeping and admiring Discus for a long time, and I'm yet to see a dark grey strain of fish :P

Discus only go that dark for a couple of simple reasons. Either they are greatly stressed, or they are ill. The fact that they have been that way for 8 mths simply means that what ever is causing their issue hasn't been addressed for 8 mths.

If you chose not to listen or chose to take offence to people's well intentioned advice (or fail to do some reading of your own) then I wish you well but your fish will live a short, sad life whereas they should live happily for years in the aquarium environment if cared for correctly.

swifto
Sun Dec 18, 2011, 08:43 AM
I have to agree with swampy,some people just don't like to hear the truth.Caring for these butiful fish does not have to b hard if u listen to the advise that the more experienced keepers are offering.I myself have learnt so much form the advice of the experienced keepers.

#1 Cichlids
Tue Feb 14, 2012, 02:48 AM

I for one haven't told you that they are beyond saving, but they are not healthy.

I've been keeping and admiring Discus for a long time, and I'm yet to see a dark grey strain of fish :P

Discus only go that dark for a couple of simple reasons. Either they are greatly stressed, or they are ill. The fact that they have been that way for 8 mths simply means that what ever is causing their issue hasn't been addressed for 8 mths. 100% agree with swampy.Use the help whats giving here.will also help your fish :D
If you chose not to listen or chose to take offence to people's well intentioned advice (or fail to do some reading of your own) then I wish you well but your fish will live a short, sad life whereas they should live happily for years in the aquarium environment if cared for correctly.100% agree.Use the help whats given here.It will also help your fish

BigDaddyAdo
Tue Feb 14, 2012, 05:33 AM
I would love to know what happened with these fish but I doubt the OP will be back.

#1 Cichlids
Tue Feb 14, 2012, 06:45 AM
I would love to know what happened with these fish but I doubt the OP will be back. He must of got drunk.And his fish did not get AWESOME!!! :D

swampy1972
Tue Feb 14, 2012, 08:12 AM
I would love to know what happened with these fish but I doubt the OP will be back.

By the look of them in those photos I doubt he's keeping Discus anymore - at least live ones :P :roll: