PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Phoenix, AZ

bmlbytes
Sun Dec 04, 2011, 06:36 AM
Hello everyone.

My name is Brandon. I recently acquired a 100 gallon aquarium. It was sitting empty for a while as I was cycling it, when one of the local pet shops nearby decided to close. They were selling everything in the store for 50% off. Because of this, I was able to pick up two 6 or 7 inch discus, raised in tap water, for $25. While they are not show quality fish, I think they are very cool.

Now they did get internal parasites because I forgot they need the water very warm, but they are just finishing up with the prazi, and are looking much better.

I added 2 schools of rasboras to the tank. I like the look of the little fish schooling, with the large slow fish as the show piece.

The last thing I need to do to my tank before it is complete, is plant it. I want a very well planted tank. I think that discus look stunning with lots of plants and I am going for that look.

Anyway, that's my story!

Discus Planetarium
Sun Dec 04, 2011, 08:13 AM
welcome to the forum mate would like to see some pics soon...

Merrilyn
Sun Dec 04, 2011, 09:30 AM
Welcome to the forum Brandon. Sounds like you got a bargain there.

Love to see some photos.

Nev
Sun Dec 04, 2011, 10:23 AM
Hi and welcome. :)

bmlbytes
Sun Dec 04, 2011, 08:43 PM
I only have a camera on my cell phone, and the camera is pure crap. Here are the only photos clear enough to see the discus.

http://i455.photobucket.com/albums/qq271/bmlbytes/CIMG0117.jpg

http://i455.photobucket.com/albums/qq271/bmlbytes/CIMG0102.jpg

The orange discus is pretty easy to see in both photos, but the other one is not. It is a dark red color with blue markings. The black background makes it difficult to get a good photo of her.

bmlbytes
Sun Dec 04, 2011, 09:11 PM
Can anyone help me in identifying the name of the darker one? I know the photos of her are bad, but the coloring is somewhat visible. Its a dark red/brown color, with blue markings.

I understand the orange one is a pigeon blood discus, is that correct?

Merrilyn
Mon Dec 05, 2011, 06:06 AM
It's a bit difficult to tell from those photos, but you're right, the orange one is indeed a pigeon blood. The other one could be a brown or maybe even a turquoise. Does he ever get lighter in colour, or does he remain the dark red/brown colouring?

They're not show quality, but you knew that when you bought them, and it doesn't really matter, so long as they are healthy.

They're fairly young fish, so be sure to give them lots and lots of food, and keep those waterchanges going. I like to change around 30% twice a week or even more if possible.

Clean water is really important with discus, perhaps more so than any other breeds. Remember, they come from soft, acidic water with a very low bacteria count.

bmlbytes
Mon Dec 05, 2011, 04:04 PM
The color on her hasn't changed much from the red/brown color. She was labeled as a red turquoise discus at the store, but she doesn't look anything like the images I get when I Google "Red Turquoise Discus". Maybe she isn't lightening up because she has not been in optimal water conditions since I got her (cold water to warm water with meds).

Thanks for the beginner tips on the discus. Can I ask how you were able to tell that they were young? They were much bigger than any of the other discus at the store. I'm sure they were trade-ins.

Merrilyn
Mon Dec 05, 2011, 09:30 PM
The length of the ventral fins (some people call them feelers) is a dead giveaway. As discus age, their ventrals grow longer. :D