PDA

View Full Version : locally bred discus

giorid
Sun Nov 13, 2011, 07:46 AM
Hi folks,

The other day I was told that locally bred discus from hobbyists are not of the same high quality as the imported ones and that's why they're hardly offered for sale, just wondering if it's true and if local hobbyists ever manage to actually get their imported discus to breed in large numbers, enough to be sold, or if the discus just die off and new ones are bought each time, I'd prefer to buy locally bred since the water conditions would be similar and therefore less stressful to the fish resulting in better survival rates and less diseases, thanks.

Ghoti
Sun Nov 13, 2011, 08:08 AM
They certainly do breed the imports and successfully too I believe. The better fish are traded through forums like this and the lesser stock are often uloaded at lfs or online via classifieds site. Perhaps its this offloading that leads folk to think the imports don't/can't breed.

Cheers,
Scott

swampy1972
Sun Nov 13, 2011, 11:54 AM
Get in contact with Marlons. He's a Sydney breeder and retailer of some very nice quality fish..

Nev
Sun Nov 13, 2011, 12:00 PM
And he's not an importer but most rave about his quality.

swifto
Mon Nov 14, 2011, 05:22 AM
Nev,mayb u should talk to marlon,as he is ordering in about 10 boxes from Germany.