PDA

View Full Version : Someone buy this - I can't :-(

swampy1972
Fri Oct 21, 2011, 10:05 AM
I spotted these today in a shop down the freeway west of Sydney (I can PM any interested member the details if they want). There's 2 in the tank, they look like a pair but they weren't advertised as such.

They're about the size of a bread plate, super clean and carrying great condition. You've got to see these things in person!!

If only my tank was complete. I had to leave before I did something stupid, like buy them with no where to keep them. :cry:

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad348/swampy1972/21102011.jpg

Hollowman
Fri Oct 21, 2011, 11:54 AM
Hi Swampy,

Nice fish, just a pity about the deformed hard ray of the dorsal, just too long, but if it is the size of a bread plate it would look quite impressive in anyone's tank.

:D

swampy1972
Fri Oct 21, 2011, 08:31 PM
Hi H.

TBH I didn't pay too much attention to it and the other fish doesn't have it so it would be worth trying to breed it out.
I've found this particular strain difficult to come by here with any sort of quality and not full of peppering - unless of course you're prepared to pay an arm 'n leg for it so it.

Hollowman
Mon Oct 24, 2011, 10:48 AM
Hi Swampy,

Yes, I understand the problems getting good quality 'non' peppered fish in Aus' Apart fron that one flaw, it is a stunning fish, like you say, well worth matching up with a similar partner :D

Nev
Wed Oct 26, 2011, 04:09 AM
Pidgeon bloods are peppered, it's the remnants of their bars. Non peppered still have peppered young. l don't see it as a fault, its a trait. Peppering becomes more prominant when they are in spawning mode.

And thats a great looking fish btw.

swampy1972
Sat Nov 12, 2011, 02:21 AM
Pidgeon bloods are peppered, it's the remnants of their bars. Non peppered still have peppered young. l don't see it as a fault, its a trait. Peppering becomes more prominant when they are in spawning mode.

I don't agree entirely. Sure, it is a trait of the PB strain - but not seen in good quality PB's as shown above.

The habitat they're keep in seems to have more to do with it being visible. For example, fish kept in a darker habitat tend to display peppering more if they're prone to it.

Hollowman
Sat Nov 12, 2011, 10:38 AM
Pidgeon bloods are peppered, . Over many years these 'traits' have been carefully bred out of many PB strains.

If you buy good quality, ie, pure bred fish from Asia or Europe they will not have any pepper.
What you will find is that people keep discus in mixed strain tanks and they randomly breed. So many times you hear the same thing, 'what will the young look like??' as novice keepers have a bad pairing... :roll: These keepers raise the young, and sell them on or give them to your lfs. These are sold as certain strains, normally incorrectly and at high prices, and your circle of poor quality fish starts.

My suggestion, and I have always tried to promote this for the hobby keeper is to breed true. No one wants crap fish, but so often that is all you can buy because of this circle.

H