PDA

View Full Version : Lesson Re-Learnt

Gumby
Thu Oct 06, 2011, 05:53 AM
Hey everyone, i just thought i might share this experience.
Yesterday i went to one of my LFS, looking for an "Eheim" 300W heater, the LFS had run out of "Eheim" 300's but offered me a cheap chinese 300W.
My first response as always is with anything cheap "I don't want it and not interested, i want "Eheim".
Well the retailer goes on to tell me how good these cheap chinese heaters are (while i'm thinking to myself, BS).
Anyway i end up buying a cheap chinese heater after much convincing.
I take it home put it in my 4 FT tank and it seems to work good, so i leave it and come back to check it 3 hours later.
Well the dam thing was not coming on even though the temp had dropped from 30 down to 27. I was not impressed to say the least.
Today i took the chinese heater back, got my money back (was only $25 for 300W) but went and bought an
"Eheim" from another store, like i should have in the first place.
I learnt this lesson a long time ago, that you get what you pay for, I have always bought quality, no matter what items it might be.
Today i re-learnt an old lesson :oops: "DON'T BUY CRAP" !
Cheers,Gumby

swampy1972
Thu Oct 06, 2011, 08:57 AM
Agreed. When you're dealing with livestock worth as much as a school of quality Discus or high grade shrimp, etc saving a couple of $$ on equipment is just false economy..

I hope your tank occupants were ok. All the best :wink:

Gumby
Thu Oct 06, 2011, 11:46 AM
Yes, Thanks Swampy, Luckily the new heater is for my new 4 FT, which only has one big Bristlenose at present, so my prize new Discus are fine :wink: as are my L 104 Pleco's.
Thanking you for your concern.
Cheers, Gumby

mcloughlin2
Thu Oct 06, 2011, 12:00 PM
What brand of heater was it?

Gumby
Thu Oct 06, 2011, 12:15 PM
You mean the cheap chinese one ?, it was a "D.I.A".
Don't bother though which chinese brand, If it's not an Eheim, Fluval or equivalent, don't touch it !
Cheers,Gumby
[/b]

Exotic Aquatic
Thu Oct 06, 2011, 01:41 PM
I agree, but also disagree. While i think you mostly get what you pay for, i have also had 3 eheim jagers fail in 16 months, and my 2 year old aquaone is still kicking strong! When the first one broke i did a quick google search (which i recommend you do) to find i wasnt alone, there were literally 100's of people with the same issue. Not to knock Eheim, they are great, but its the same with all brands, more so with the really really cheap stuff. But essentially what im trying to say is that quality is not always associated with price, you can see quality in almost any price range. In most cases the finish, features, and weight are enough... crappy things just well, look crapy!

Im glad your new heater is working out for you, i also have now a very reliable eheim heater in my shrimp tank, i also have several other brands that i trust just as much in other price points. but no no-name stuff.

Mr Wild
Thu Oct 06, 2011, 08:22 PM
Oh Gumby
Been there, done that, thanks for the reminder though!

swifto
Fri Oct 07, 2011, 09:19 AM
hi all,ar yes the good old once bitten twice shy.Well if your going to do some thing u should alway do it right the first time,thing will save money and time and any nagging from the misses.lol

swampy1972
Fri Oct 07, 2011, 09:57 AM
quality is not always associated with price, you can see quality in almost any price range. In most cases the finish, features, and weight are enough... crappy things just well, look crapy!

I agree with you there. In many instances there are long known budget brands like aquaone (not cheap crap) that give great service. I've had a CF500 canister running non-stop and without issue for well ovr 2yrs and the poor little thing barely gets any TLC.. Even purchased new they are moderately priced with good after sale service and spares support.

Not all things beautifully finished and 'pretty' mean they are good for their designed function :wink:

Old Dave
Fri Oct 07, 2011, 10:21 AM
Careful where you tread, some of those wonderful brands get some of their products make in China too now..

jmo,

Dave

ps. Can we have a Pirate Emoticon? (Like Cap'n Jack) :wink: :whip

Exotic Aquatic
Fri Oct 07, 2011, 10:29 AM
Haha you noticed the prc stamp on some of the newer e-brand? Lol
Fancy way to write china.

Nev
Fri Oct 07, 2011, 12:01 PM
Have just bought a new 300w heater from flea bay, $42 including postage. Bought on tuesday, arrived friday and it's a fluval so should be good. Lfs want $90 for ehiem, bit of a no brainer.

I love flea bay, almost as good as bunnings! lol :)

Gumby
Fri Oct 07, 2011, 12:41 PM
Good purchase Nev, i ended up paying $65 for my 300W Eheim, Had to drive 15 minutes but got what i wanted :wink:
Cheers, Gumby

swampy1972
Fri Oct 07, 2011, 09:40 PM
Careful where you tread, some of those wonderful brands get some of their products make in China too now..

Just about everything is manufactured in China nowadays so doesn't necessarily mean it's rubbish, just means you need to do your homework before buying :wink:

Gumby
Sat Oct 08, 2011, 09:14 AM

Just about everything is manufactured in China nowadays so doesn't necessarily mean it's rubbish, just means you need to do your homework before buying :wink:

Yes i know everything comes from China, eg: i am in engineering, we make a prototype then it goes to the Vietnam factory for mass production(it is not the same quality as the prototype we make here).
My sons Aquaone AR510 tank has an Aquaone heater, it has been 4 degrees out since day one, but it works (just use the thermometre for temp).
My second 4 FT tank (empty atm) has an Aquaone heater, it is not reliable at all.
That is why i went for a brand name, I agree some "Chinese " brands can be good for the purpose but the "Chinese" 300W heater i was originaly talking about was $25, that was the problem.
Anyway i would rather just buy a quality brand than regret it later.
Cheers, Gumby