PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!

brett.rach
Tue Sep 13, 2011, 08:56 AM
My Penang Eruption is very ill. He hasnt eaten (that i have seen) for about a week now. He is very emaciated and im at a loss as to what to do. I really dont want to lose him. About a month ago a "pimple" appeared on his side, so i purchasd some worming treatment and treated the tank. At this point he was still eating and appeared quiet happy. A month later i repeated the worming (as instructed on the packet). He had already started to go downhill before this second treatment. He has no OBVIOUS sores or signs of worms on the exterior of his body and his gills appear to be working fine. After hours of research on the net, i have raised the temp in my tank to 30c and added more aeration. I have added salt to teh tank (above him as he is sulking in the back corner of the tank). He is not getting bullied by the other discus and the PH is good. ANY advice would be greatly appreciated. HELP !!!

Exotic Aquatic
Tue Sep 13, 2011, 09:47 AM
Try raising temp to 33 and add some Epsom salt to the tank (magnesium) this will aid digestion and induce appetite.

As far as worming solutions go I have tried all the chemical ones over the years, and the most popular kusuri (had the least success with that one)... I'm now trailing my own creation made up of natural botanics used in eastern medicine... So far I've had 100% success rate over 11 trials on flower horn (heximita), a customers discus she got last year interstate (black disease and hex), 2 angels (gill fluke), and a huge male geo (white poo and buoyancy issues)... All with great success after 3-7 days.

Once I know more I'll post results and will begin marketing the product, currently I have some in the mail n the way to illusn and monolicious who will continue my research on their own specimens.

In the interim, I would highly suggest Epsom salt at a rate of 2 tblspns/40litres, and a temp of 33-33.5 with heavy aeration... This should get the color back and get him eating.... As far as actually killing the parasite is concerned you can try flagyl, for which you will need a doctors script ( treat 1 tab/40 liters with no light and a covered tank in conjunction with the above Epsom remedy). Or if all else fails wait until my formula is proven by other respected hobbyists and breeders.

Rgards,
Adrian
EA

**edited to add "0"***

Ghoti
Tue Sep 13, 2011, 12:07 PM
I would highly suggest Epsom salt at a rate of 2 tblspns/4litres

I think there is a typo there. Shouldn't it be 2tbs per 40 litres?

Cheers,
Scott

Exotic Aquatic
Tue Sep 13, 2011, 12:12 PM
Yes, sorry, iPad spaz... all good now!

brett.rach
Tue Sep 13, 2011, 11:52 PM
thank you for your help and suggestions. Unfortunately i lost him late yesterday :( I have absolutely no idea what made him so sick, if it was the worms or not. Thanks again for your help and support :)

Exotic Aquatic
Wed Sep 14, 2011, 09:37 AM
Sorry to hear it. Hopefully it won't discourage you from a wonderful hobby. How long did you own the fish?

Old Dave
Wed Sep 14, 2011, 12:11 PM
... As far as actually killing the parasite is concerned you can try flagyl, for which you will need a doctors script ( treat 1 tab/40 liters

How many mg in the tab? Seems a little weak compared to metro sticky?

Brett,
Sorry you couldn't help your fish.
We would all be worse off without the experiences of other forum members.

Old Dave

Exotic Aquatic
Wed Sep 14, 2011, 12:43 PM
400mg standard now arent they? at least all the ones down here are.

ILLUSN
Wed Sep 14, 2011, 09:08 PM
recomended dose for metro for discus is 25mg/L given once every 48hrs with a 30% water change before each dose.

other methods in clude 10-12.5mg 2x daily (morning and night) with a wc in between

brett.rach
Wed Sep 14, 2011, 10:58 PM
I probably had hin for 4 months. I bought my discus in 3 lots. He was in the second lot that i got. He came wth his sibling who is fine. All the other fish are OK at the moment. It definately wont discourage me, Just wish i had some idea what happened to him, so i can try and prevent this from happening again, or treat the tank earlier,

Thanks again for everyones help :)