PDA

View Full Version : breeding

Mathias
Thu Jul 21, 2011, 07:05 AM
I seem to have a pair but they are 2 different strains ones a red turq and the other is a blue turq can this become a problem or is it just like interracial pairs in humans. Also they have just had there first batch of eggs they where clear then turned white then i think they where gobbled up, both fish where still fanning the leaf they where layed on even after they where gone, how ofteren do they tend to lay eggs? and from experiences what fish male or female tends to become aggressive towards others when eggs have been layed?

Regards
Mat

rex82
Thu Jul 21, 2011, 07:42 AM
I seem to have a pair but they are 2 different strains ones a red turq and the other is a blue turq can this become a problem they are not to bad a match, similar strain or is it just like interracial pairs in humans. Also they have just had there first batch of eggs they where clear then turned white not fertile then i think they where gobbled up, both fish where still fanning the leaf they where layed on even after they where gone, how ofteren do they tend to lay eggs?once a week when in season and previous batch failed and from experiences what fish male or female tends to become aggressive towards others when eggs have been layed? Usually both are equally aggressive but will depend on individual fish
Regards
Mat

HTH Ross

Mathias
Thu Jul 21, 2011, 07:47 AM
when you say not fertile does that mean they may not be a pair and ones just laying eggs ?

BobbyBruce
Thu Jul 21, 2011, 08:11 AM
Hi Mat,

If the eggs have turned white that is a strong indicator that they were not fertilised. This can be for a number of reasons including water conditions, non-viable sperm or that the pair are both female.

Your best option is to closely observe the next spawn to determine that you have a male and female. Generally the female will lay a line of eggs followed by the male depositing milt. Look closely at the "equipment" of the pair. The female's tube will be significantly wider and blunter than the male which will be noticeably shorter, narrower and pointed.

Good luck,

Bob

rex82
Thu Jul 21, 2011, 09:15 AM
Great advise Bob :D Pair may just be young, males take awhile longer to mature