PDA

View Full Version : Gill seems to b closed

swifto
Mon Apr 11, 2011, 09:15 AM
hi all,one of b/d seem to have 1 gill working while the other side seems to b clamped close also have noticed a 0.5cm string like thread hanging from vent .I think it could b gill flukes and worms not sure as im only new to the discus world (6 months).tank conditions ar temp=30,ph=6.0,ammonia=.25ppm,nitrite=0ppm,nitrate =0ppm.Some other fish were flashing and doing a kinda twitching motion.any ideas thanks.

lpiasente
Mon Apr 11, 2011, 10:01 AM
Ammonia should be 0 keep up with the water changes. Does sound like gill fluke. Don't ya hate it when your fish aren't well.

boxters
Mon Apr 11, 2011, 10:15 AM
It's easy to see things wrong that don't exist. At some time or other we have all done it. Rob I mentioned you ate going to have these issues because of what has been in the tank before. If we constantly treat the fish they are going to die. I would remove the gravel if you have any in there. If it is flukes and we need to be sure first, I suggest treating with formalin followed by potassium permanganate

swifto
Mon Apr 11, 2011, 10:29 AM
why remove gravel its been in there for only 6 months.water changes are 60-80ltrevery couple days,and double dosing stability to combat ammonia level.

swifto
Mon Apr 11, 2011, 11:00 AM
Sorry for stupid and some what lack of knowledge.just did abit of research,where can i buy formalin.I guess condys crystals u can get at chemist.

lpiasente
Tue Apr 12, 2011, 09:25 AM
be very very very careful when treating with these 2 chemicals. I have a feeling if you get a cross over of these 2 chemicals they will kill your fish....IILUSION just checking here.. is this right.

swifto
Tue Apr 12, 2011, 09:43 AM
would like to know the right amount of formalin to use in a 300ltr tank.as i can get it friday.its a concertrate formalin i've never used this b for.my plants and driftwood we b removed, substrate will hav to stay in as its about 56kgs.do i hav to do anything to filter ie turn off and how long to use,how often do i need to treat tank 1,2 ect.i need as much info as possible.thanks.

boxters
Tue Apr 12, 2011, 09:53 AM
You are going to kill your fish. Keep up the water changes for now. What are your movements tomorrow?

m.ingram
Tue Apr 12, 2011, 04:16 PM
If it is flukes and we need to be sure first, I suggest treating with formalin followed by potassium permanganate

Sorry but i might be reading this wrong but this sentence in this post concerns me as the way it has been written and not explained .
This advice in my view shouldnt be give to anyone without explaining it in full .
If there is any trace of formalin left in the tank when treating with potassium permanganate it creates a gas that is not only harmful / fatal to the fish but also the people in the area where the treated tank is .
These two chemicals should never be stored in the same area either .

swifto
Tue Apr 12, 2011, 10:33 PM
i wouldn't mix the to chemicals together.water changes would b done for a month before i would use pp.

ILLUSN
Wed Apr 13, 2011, 01:22 AM
ok formalin is a serious chemical that must be used VERY carefully under certain contitions. It looks like youve got a few issuse with your tank that are causing issues with your fish. the clamped gill could be gill fluke.

0.25ppm ammonia is bad but not un fixable you have a 300l tank so if you change 60L a day you'll remove 0.05ppm of ammonia (60/300=0.2=20% 20%x0.25 = 0.05) this is not enough STEP UP YOUR WATER CHANGES if you change 50% daily you'll remove 0.125ppm bringing your ammonia down to .125 which is much better. if it were my tank i'd change 250L now to bring the ammonia down to >.05 then do 50% daily for the next month while the filter catches up.

clean your tank, wipe down the glass, GET RID OF THE GRAVEL flukes breed via eggs, fluke eggs are indistructable they get into everything gravel and filters are the main cause of re infestation removing the gravel is a great way to smash down the number of cysts

once you've done you can start treating with prazi, its moderatly effective against living flukes but its very effective against intesinal flat worms, treat once weeks one and two with a 50% water change and quick rinse of your filter sponges (in tank water) 24 hours after treatment.

once youve finished the prazi treatment if you still have flukes you can look at more aggressive fluke treatments with PP or formalin but id try the milder stuff first especially if your filter is strugling with ammonia

swifto
Wed Apr 13, 2011, 02:16 AM
ok,have noticed both gills are working,but has a cotton like string hanging from vent its been there for 2 days now its not got any bigger/longer.my ph=6.0,nitrite=0ppm,nitrate=0ppm and at last ammonia=0ppm.I can only store about 90ltr water in 2ft tank outside so will do water change tonight and add stability plus prime.double dose stability until filter catchers up.i do really appreicate your advice.tryin to do right thing for fish.

lpiasente
Wed Apr 13, 2011, 08:27 AM
ok,have noticed both gills are working,but has a cotton like string hanging from vent its been there for 2 days now its not got any bigger/longer.my ph=6.0,nitrite=0ppm,nitrate=0ppm and at last ammonia=0ppm.I can only store about 90ltr water in 2ft tank outside so will do water change tonight and add stability plus prime.double dose stability until filter catchers up.i do really appreicate your advice.tryin to do right thing for fish.
sounding better :). I use a large garbage bin for water storage.

wasc
Wed Apr 13, 2011, 08:41 AM
Very vital information you should take a note and never forget:

1- Never use chemicals unless there is a very sirious problem. (Your problem is not sirious, it is temporary !!!!)

- Closed Gill is an illness but, it's in all Discus secretly. It affects Discus while the water conditions are not ok. So the water conditions were not ok and your Discus got ill a little bit.

Solution is simple : You gotta clean filters carelessly, no need to clean it very much otherwise you can kill the bacteria. Then you should clean the glasses with a sponge and also the surface of your aquarium. Take out everything from the aquarium (sand, toys, plants) leave the fishes only on glass aquarium.

You are not doing water changes right ! Keep it up and do it more % amount. Becareful of Chlorine.( If you change water with high amount of chlorine, you will not sense or smell it, it's a ghost. Suddenly your fish will come to the surface and breath rapidly. You'll see them dying!! In that situation everything will be over. It will make you upset) Without chemicals you'll see in 2 days gills will be opened and function properly.

If you use chemicals ! Healthy fish will be affected as below :
-The fish May be more shy, stay away from other fishes.
- May be More fragile because chemicals damage the defense system.
- Affects growth speed negatively.

Chemicals sould be used when there is no hope left.

swifto
Wed Apr 13, 2011, 09:04 AM
thanks all,but what could b the stringy thing hanging from vent.it has since fall off the fish it was there for two days.

lpiasente
Wed Apr 13, 2011, 09:29 AM
could have been slime coat? not too sure

ILLUSN
Wed Apr 13, 2011, 10:21 AM
Could be excess mucus from stress from the ammonia in the water or could have been a tape worm hard to say without a picture

ILLUSN
Wed Apr 13, 2011, 10:22 AM
Could be excess mucus from stress from the ammonia in the water or could have been a tape worm hard to say without a picture

boxters
Wed Apr 13, 2011, 11:46 AM
not a tape worm. those fish came from me. all fish are dewormed in quarantine. They are in a tank which used to have gold fish. I agree its probably slime coat from stress. Im trying to get over to take a look at the fish myself. Work has been so busy

swifto
Wed Apr 13, 2011, 12:29 PM
hi mate,yes i know u would like to look at my tank.it s hard with work/family and i have a bugger of a roster for work i'm home tomorrow, then work for the next 6 days,home after 230pm.let me know when its ok with u.

swifto
Wed Apr 13, 2011, 12:35 PM
sorry mate i mean no disrespect,as im learning fast ,and relize i no nothing about keepin a beautiful fish. im just so stressed.

lpiasente
Wed Apr 13, 2011, 09:34 PM
Taking care of discus is very stressful at times, they are hard work.No matter how many water changes you do and how clean the tank is things can still occur. Chin up, this is something very common and can be fixed. Lucky for these fish that they have someone who wants to take care of them.

ILLUSN
Wed Apr 13, 2011, 09:54 PM
It's great when the person who sold the fish is available to help if marlon is sure it's not worms then it must be excess slime. Again it's to be expected if your ammonia got to detectable levels it's the way the fish protects itself from the enviroment

swifto
Fri Apr 15, 2011, 10:15 AM
thank u marlon,this man has take the time to look at my tank advise me of somethings i should do.How may discus breeders/sellers can say they care more about the fish and not just making a dollar.I will recommend marlons discus to anyone.And will evenually buy b buying more of marlons fish.For marlon it's all about the care of the fish,and not just the dollar to me it's the personal side/advise .