PDA

View Full Version : panduro/trifas

boydie
Thu Feb 24, 2011, 10:12 AM
can these guys be kept together
cheers marty

Rod
Thu Feb 24, 2011, 11:40 AM
I'd suggest the panduro would kill the trifas in a blink....

They get a lot bigger and are quite a bit more aggressive

syxx
Sat Feb 26, 2011, 08:22 AM
It depends on what size tank they are going in and weather you will have enough hiding spots and territories. Yes Panduro are aggressive compared to most apistos, but in a well set up tank they should be fine.

Rod
Sun Feb 27, 2011, 11:52 AM
Hi syxx

Have you kept A panduro?
Have you kept A trifasciata?
Have you kept them together?

Or did you rely on aqadvisor.com for an answer?

I've kept and breed both....in different tanks
I don't like he concept of keeping Apisto's of different variety in he same tank.....particularly ones the grow to different sizes

Anyway....tell us what you do Marty....and let us know the outcome IF you put them together

Hassles
Sun Feb 27, 2011, 01:09 PM
It is definiately possible to keep two Apisto varients together IF....

IF the tank is large enough.

IF the aquascaping is complex enough to provide 'reliable' shelter for all and any fish seeking refuge.

IF the Apistos are approximately of the same size.

IF they are from different complexes.

IF the two species have similar temperaments.

The aggression levels of some Apistos cannot be matched by other Apistos and as Rod has pointed out, the panduro can be a decidedly aggressive Apistos, as can the nijsseni for that matter.

As a rule, keeping Apistos in mixed species tank ain't a good idea unless you want to establish a biotype in a large tank and observe natural behaviour. Something like a trio of cacatuoides and a trio of gibbiceps in a heavily planted 6 footer - the fella who did this has no problems. Each trio keep to their own respective ends of the tank with the occasional meeting at the midway area when he enjoys all the flarring Apistos are renown for.

I once tried keeping an Apisto in with a west African dwarf in a heavily planted 4 footer - the Apisto lasted 24 hours and died in a quarrantine / medical tank. The aggression of the west African saw it literally 'hunt down and destroy' the Apisto. An aggressive Apisto such as a panduro and a passive Apisto such as the trifasciata is, in my opinion, asking for trouble if kept together.

You will know that many of us breed Apistos in standard 2 foot tanks - these are far from ideal circumstances in which to keep fish and we usually need to segregate the parents for their own wellbeing. In larger more complex tanks such segregation may be avoided.

take care and consider the wellbeing of the fish.

kristina
Mon Feb 28, 2011, 02:49 AM
boydie: my short answer would be no. yes, it's possible if that is your life's work, but I doubt there are many people who would go to such lengths to do that. You would have to have a MASSIVE tank, that is very dense in vegetation and logs etc. That of course means more heaters, more filtration, more cleaning and harder to clean. More water at each change and then even then close monitoring of each fish that one or many were not being predated upon. Not worth it IMO.

For example, I had an aggressive male that repeatedly killed it's partner regardless of in spawn or not. i loved it and was willing to accommodate the conditions it needed. I placed him and his female into a 4ft planted tank with plenty of hiding places. I then put other fish in the tank to create more distractions. I ended up with a female that had ample room to get away and a male that chased her less because there were more distractions ie other fish to chase.

Are you willing to accommodate the needs of both species if you decide to continue with this and is it worth it? My guess is no. My suggestion is no.