PDA

View Full Version : 1st Spawn, 6x2x2

BobbyBruce
Sat Feb 19, 2011, 04:47 AM
Hi all,

I have had this system up and running for four weeks now (setting up included use of water from Q tank, 4x2x2, and water change tank) substrates and wood either in the Q, 4x or prep tanks for a minimum of several months. Filter is a new 2080 but filter media is from the Q & 4x which was previously housing the fish in this tank so I had bacteria colonies capable of dealing with the waste produced by all these fish.

On Thursday evening (full moon and storms) I noticed my male brown and female blue turq engagins in mating/spawning behaviour (they have produced a number of spawns previously in my 4x. As you can see quite a good result unfortuneately due to the new environment and different "competition" for partners, all was lost within 36 hours.

I have no doubt I will have future spawns in this tank with more success, though I doubt I will get any survivors.

Regards,

Bob

boxters
Sat Feb 19, 2011, 05:53 AM
Nice brown. I want I want

BobbyBruce
Sat Feb 19, 2011, 05:56 AM
Sorry Marlon,

Not available.

Regards,

Bob

boxters
Sat Feb 19, 2011, 06:08 AM
Don't seem to come across browns much. Love the blue patterning

swampy1972
Sat Feb 19, 2011, 10:14 AM
It would be worth getting them a 2ftr and sponge filter to give them a proper go without competition.. I think you may get some nice fry from that combo ;)

BobbyBruce
Sat Feb 19, 2011, 10:36 AM
Thanks Swampy,

I have fry from the reverse combo, female brown, blue turq male, the fry don't appear to be all that special. I do still have a couple to see how they go but not hopeful of anything worthwhile. The other problem is that even when they are big enough to move on I can't even give them away up here. I took about 50 to the LFS as giveaways and no-one was interested.

Regards,

Bob

ILLUSN
Sat Feb 19, 2011, 11:02 AM
Damn those are nice fish!

swampy1972
Sun Feb 20, 2011, 05:52 AM
Thanks Swampy,

I have fry from the reverse combo, female brown, blue turq male, the fry don't appear to be all that special. I do still have a couple to see how they go but not hopeful of anything worthwhile. The other problem is that even when they are big enough to move on I can't even give them away up here. I took about 50 to the LFS as giveaways and no-one was interested.

Regards,

Bob

Well.... If you have to give them away, I'm sure I can find a place for them :D

Mattzilla
Tue Feb 22, 2011, 06:28 AM
if you have the reverse couple then swap them over to the matching colour

both beautiful fish you got there

BobbyBruce
Tue Feb 22, 2011, 06:45 AM
Thanks Matt,

I have a few more fish coming in. Once I have everything settled then I may try to breed matched pairs. The blue turq male that has previously bred with this female is quite a nice fish (See him in discus critique) very little patterning but lovely solid colour. I wouldn't mind seeing what they could produce. The brown female has been looking somewhat flat since moving into this tank. I am hoping that she will pick up in the short term.

Regards,

Bob

mistakes r crucial
Tue Feb 22, 2011, 08:35 AM
Very nice indeed Bob. I'm cycling a 6ft tank right now, send a few fry over!