PDA

View Full Version : Well cut me legs off and call me shorty!

Ghoti
Thu Feb 10, 2011, 01:04 PM
Gave the tank a good clean out the other day. Gravel vac, removed Anubias for a clean and trim, trimmed plants, cleaned the glass. Clearly the Discus weren't all that happy about the imposition.

They seemed to recover OK, but two were sulking in a corner of the tank.
They were still sulking there tonight...or so I thought. Closer inspection showed they were guarding a small clutch of eggs attached to some driftwood!

I figure they wont stand a chance once they hatch, but in the meantime Mum and Dad are doing a great job keeping preditors at bay.

I guess I must be doing something right!

Pic of Mum and Dad below - any way of telling which is which?

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa142/ghotipics2/Mum_n_Dad.jpg

Cheers,
Scott

BobbyBruce
Thu Feb 10, 2011, 01:29 PM
Hi Scott,

Difficult to say with your pair as the dorsal fin on the left fish is not clearly shown. On the right hand fish the back part of the dorsal looks as if it might be developing a point but hard to be sure with the angle.

Front on pics from below the eye line may allow us to see variation between the breeding tubes of the two fish. Female will be obviously bigger than the male.

Regards,

Bob

mitsui
Thu Feb 10, 2011, 09:43 PM
Woo hoo! Congrats Scott that's great news!!!

swampy1972
Fri Feb 18, 2011, 07:43 AM
Awesome news Scott!! All the best for them..

It may just be the angle or lighting, but it looks like your fish may be a bit under fed to me - particularly since they're about to start trying to develop mucus for young ones. I'd increase your feeding slightly to get a bit more condition on them..

BigDaddyAdo
Fri Feb 18, 2011, 10:26 AM
Get them some live black worms. They will really help put a bit of meat on their bones.

Ghoti
Fri Feb 18, 2011, 12:08 PM
They have been sulking around for a while. Young ones are gone (didn't expect much in a well stocked tank) and Mum and Dad are now front and centre for tucker, but will up the feeding.

Was away for 3 weeks during January and the kidslfeeding them, so prepared small serves to minimise effect of 3 weeks with no water changes.

BDA Ill get onto the blackworms.

Cheers,
Scott

syxx
Fri Feb 25, 2011, 02:57 AM
When did you last worm the discus? it may be an idea to treat them just in case they are a little unhappy because of intestinal worms.

Ghoti
Sat Feb 26, 2011, 10:35 AM
I have never wormed them.

All the fish were on a restricted diet whilst I was away for 3 weeks nd my daughter was caring for them (no water changes!)

Then they seemed reluctant to feed, and shortly after they spawned. During this time they would hang round the back of the tank not feeding. I thought they may be sick until I saw the eggs. Since the fry have gone they have gone back to feeding more enthusiastically.

Time will tell though I expect they should recover. There are six other discus in the tank doing just fine.

Cheers,
Scott