PDA

View Full Version : New Discus Not Eating

rphox2003
Fri Jan 21, 2011, 10:51 AM
I bought three Red Melons on 12-Jan, and as far as I can see, two of them haven't eaten at all. They are starting to lose their color.

All my other Discus in the tank have been eating like pigs since day one and are rapidly growing. But these two totally ignore the food (TetraBits).

Any suggestions?

boxters
Fri Jan 21, 2011, 01:51 PM
Most discus are raised on a diet high in protein such as beef heart. It's hard to get them to change. I would try feeding frozen blood worm or beef heart

BigDaddyAdo
Sat Jan 22, 2011, 01:45 AM
Discus find it very hard to resist freeze dried black worms IME.

Discus Planetarium
Sat Jan 22, 2011, 10:15 AM
i bought some live black worms the other day and they love them you could try them.

erhan
Sat Jan 22, 2011, 06:15 PM
It hasn't been that long. I've had discus that haven't ate for over 2months but they never lost colour or had clamped fins. They shouldn't be losing colour in such short time, unless they have some internal problems like worms.

The best way i've found to open back their appetite, is to feed them live black worms for about a week. Feed live black worms for about 3-4 days then on about the 5th day, chop some beef heart into small pieces, they usually don't go for it if you toss in a big block, then repeat with the black worms and beefheart for a few more days. then start feeding them tetrabits.

This honestly has worked for me a few times when I've had this problem. I wouldn't suggest doing it in a community tank where the other discus are eating fine, because you will probably get those guys use to just eating black worms.

erhan
Sat Jan 22, 2011, 06:38 PM
Oh i forgot to mention to try feeding tetrabits straight after you feed them the live black worms. If they don't go for the tetrabits, then move onto my post above.

rphox2003
Sat Jan 22, 2011, 09:30 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions, but I don't think my wife will go for live worms in the fridge.

I went to the lfs today and bought some frozen Ocean Nutrition Discus food and Discus Formula Pellets, which are shaped like worms. Hopefully these will do the trick.

erhan
Sun Jan 23, 2011, 04:17 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions, but I don't think my wife will go for live worms in the fridge.

You don't have to put live black worms in the fridge, just put them in a bucket near your tank.

rphox2003
Sun Jan 23, 2011, 07:20 AM
You don't have to put live black worms in the fridge, just put them in a bucket near your tank.

Sure - she'll love a bucket of worms in her living room. :D
Thanks again, but I don't think live worms are an option.

BigDaddyAdo
Sun Jan 23, 2011, 08:06 AM
A bucket of worms? How about a small container. If you cant keep it in the fridge then keep it in the cabinet, or anywhere else you like for that matter.