PDA

View Full Version : Quick question

liquidice79
Fri Mar 11, 2005, 02:52 AM
Is a bare bottom tank better than a planted tank?

I currently have the tank with gravel in it but no fish yet and wondering if I should just get the gravel out and have a some anubias on driftwood instead.

I know bb's are a LOT easier to clean but my concern is that the reflection might be a bit much for the fish.

Any input appreciated.

Ta 8-)

leanne31
Fri Mar 11, 2005, 03:21 AM
Your right bb are a lot easier to clean, I have gravel in my tank about a inch to a inch and a half thick only as its in my lounge being my display tank and I wanted that look but Im also willing to do the cleaning thats required to have it. I siphon my gravel 3 times a week and keep it clean so if you dont like to siphon go bb. I dont think they mind the reflection Ive got a qt tank in my bedroom and that doesnt worry the fish that go in it at all just your personal opinion of what you prefer and like and how much effort you want to put into it.

Leanne

liquidice79
Fri Mar 11, 2005, 04:10 AM
Hey Leanne,

You're always the first to reply to my posts : )

I've just had an idea. I'll try half half! Or is this just a bit ridiculous?

leanne31
Fri Mar 11, 2005, 04:20 AM
Maybe you could just cover the bottom with a real thin line just enough to see and not enough that food and waste can get caught underneath it. Half and half mmm not to sure the only thing is if you decided in the long run you wanted to change to bb you can only take small amounts of gravel out at a time.

Leanne

ps My computers never off thats why Im always first to answer this site is just on all the time. :lol:

Merrilyn
Fri Mar 11, 2005, 07:30 AM
Great advice there from Leanne.

Trebs
Sat Mar 12, 2005, 12:44 AM
I haven't found reflection to be an issue in any of my bb tanks.

goldenpigeon
Sat Mar 12, 2005, 01:02 AM
i have found that bb is fine. i have a few of pairs of discus which is way more than my mum wants me to have and they periodicly get moved from the rest tank which is infact my display tank (gravel, planted out) to the breeding tank (bare bottom). at first they are a little stressed and all but within usually about 3 days there off spawning and all. very soon thoagh i plan to set a rest tank up that is bb. i think it would be best to ditto there bare bottom breeding enviroment to the future rest tank. just for stress reasons.

David

kalebjarrod
Sat Mar 12, 2005, 09:28 PM
I have both, planted inside and b/b in the shed

planted are the nicest and most relaxing things to look at, they just have some thing more than a b/b

b/b are SOOOOOOO easy to clean, i have seen some nice tanks too!

personally it is just a matter of time, if you have it but never plan on have any spare every again go planted, if you are just there for the fish go b/b

its just a personal choice

liquidice79
Sat Mar 12, 2005, 09:56 PM
Hey thanks for all the input :)

I'm still undecided, I do have a stand for a 3ft tank so maybe I'll set it up and have a bb in that.

lambo
Sun Mar 13, 2005, 03:23 AM
you could get some plastic containers/cups and pot some plants if you wanted to. That way it's still fairly easy to clean and you got plants aswell