PDA

View Full Version : Blue Diamond - problem with loss of scales

Mark100
Fri Oct 22, 2010, 09:21 PM
Hi

new to keeping discuss, all has been going very well but now have a Blue Diamond that looks to have lost scales under main dorsal fin.
Have removed charcol filter and put Melafix in.
General health of fish seems good feeding well and active.

Any thougts on what this is and a fix appreciated
have hopefully managed to attach a pic showing problem.

Cheers

m.ingram
Sat Oct 23, 2010, 06:30 AM
if he looks good and is still eating just give him plenty of clean water and dont worry about melafix its not worth the money imo

Mark100
Sat Oct 23, 2010, 10:08 AM
Thanks appreciate the response just paranoid with not wanting to miss anything.

Will keep up the water changes

Certainly nothing wrong with him otherwise very active and feed well

Cheers

boxters
Sat Oct 23, 2010, 10:31 AM
With symptoms like this we need to be mindfull of the following possible causes. A picture would help

It could be caused by flashing caused by body flukes
It could be parasites which get in under the scales causing them to die and drop off.
it could be caused by fighting
It could have bumped into something in the tank.

I would not use melafix. The only thing that stuff fixes is your bank balance.

I would keep an eye on the fish. If it does not get better or gets worse you may consider a salt bath

Mark100
Sat Oct 23, 2010, 11:53 AM
Hi

Having no luck in attaching a pic will play some more and work out what I am doing wrong.

Concerned on water changes normally doing twice a week but thought with using Melafix I had to leave it for 5-7 days to take effect before water change.

Will do another water change tomorrow .

Been reading all post on site water changes seem to be a key item raised - very informative - though my head is spining currently.

Cheers

boxters
Sat Oct 23, 2010, 12:16 PM
Don't go overboard with water changes. 50% twice per week is plenty

Merrilyn
Sat Oct 23, 2010, 12:25 PM
Hi Mark and welcome to the forum. Yeah, our fish do like their clean water, so waterchanges are a major part of our fishkeeping.

Lost scales are not usually a major problem, but it's important to keep a close watch in case it's caused by something more serious than just a scrape.

We've been having some trouble with our server and it's been difficult to upload photos lately, but the problem is being sorted this weekend, so should be fixed soon. In the meantime use something like Photobucket to upload your photos.

BigDaddyAdo
Sat Oct 23, 2010, 09:07 PM
My pair often startle each other. Its quite amusing when they do this but occassionally they run into some DW and loose a few scales. As long as you are maintaining good water quality and the fish are healthy it will heal up just fine.

If it doesnt there may be an underlying issue that needs to be dealt with.