PDA

View Full Version : It appears discus folk aren't too chatty!

Mickey C
Thu Aug 19, 2010, 06:01 AM
hehe, now that I have your attention 8-)

This must be one of the more quiet off topic threads I've ever seen on a forum! Then again, you're all probably doing water changes right? :P

How about a couple of random things I've seen during my recent internet browsings for your entertainment.
Some hardcore computer geeks (not me!) use eheim pumps for their CPU liquid cooling systems
A betta can be on deaths door after jumping out of a tank and being stranded for a while (no one wanted to admit how long) yet a good percentage can survive if put straight back into water (I'd hope salt water!)
I've found that it's easier to find spare parts for filters in the UK than it is in Australia (and still considerably cheaper)
Specialty LFS' don't really change much over 6 years - except their prices
Non-specialty pet stores can change a heap in 6 years - especially their prices
If you don't want to fork out money for re-enforcing, the best place for larger tanks (on a suspended floor) is across the boards as close to an external wall as you can get - unless you want to measure where the supports are. With floorboards (like mine) you need to move the tank every few years to stop the tank sinking into the wood
I am enjoying friday nights again, being football, rum, chips and pet (fish) night :)

goodoo
Thu Aug 19, 2010, 10:30 AM
Hey micky. some nice points there. My girlfriend had a betta that would swim into her hand and she would lift it out of the water. Also we had a cot in the tank for seperating a trouble fish. And she could get him to jump in and out of it. Also my dominent Blue turqouise goes real pale when he sees me. If i put food in the tank he goes bright blue again wierd huh .You keep discus ?

Mickey C
Thu Aug 19, 2010, 10:32 PM
Going to head out this weekend to get my first two - there's a pair in the same tank at a LFS that I like the look of.

If only tetra were that shy when you feed them. The ones I've had to assist my tank cycling go absolutely crazy when it's food time. I don't think a single piece of brine shrimp gets half way down the tank. The angelfish I used to have were the same - pigs!

And if I find the link about the best place to put a tank I'll post it up - it was quite interesting that a 4 foot tank is almost reaching the limit of a tank you can put "anywhere" in the house without causing structual issues in the long term. I should have bought a place with a concrete slab... :D

goodoo
Fri Aug 20, 2010, 03:13 AM
Which shop.

Mickey C
Sun Aug 22, 2010, 08:50 AM
I'm a bit bored, so here's other random factoids, mainly because I had to host a trivia night on friday night.
It is illegal to have any flag higher than the US flag at any time, anywhere in the US. According to the site I got this from, the UN flag has flown at the same height but not higher.
The original US flag had a circle of stars so no states were regarded as "higher" than the others.
Matt Groening, creator of The Simpsons, has won 11 Emmy's.
The Earth travels around the sun at 110,000km/h.
The band Nickelback (who are Canadian) was originally formed by 3 brothers
Julia Gillard was born in Wales (although everyone would know that by now, but I didn't!)
BCF is owned by Super Cheap Auto
In the movie "The Castle" the owner of the jousting sticks wanted $450 (tell him he's dreaming!)
Mick Jagger expressed an interest to play the role of Dr Frank N. Furter in the movie version of The Rocky Horror Picture Show
Kangaroos have 4 nipples
So yeah, kinda bored hey :D

Tommo
Sun Aug 22, 2010, 11:03 AM
A little more rubbish to read ;)

•In 1887 Aboriginal sprinter Bobby McDonald was the first athlete to use the crouch start method.

•Karate, generally considered a Japanese martial art, did not come to Japan until 1916. Prior to this time it was practiced solely by the Okinawa islanders, who had developed it centuries earlier as a means of weaponless defense against the Japanese.

•Cats purr at 26 cycles per second, the same as an idling diesel engine.

•All porcupines float in water.

•The albatross drinks sea water. It has a special desalinization apparatus that strains out and excretes all excess salt.

•The United States has never lost a war in which mules were used.

•It is physically impossible for a pig to look up.

•The fingerprints of koala bears are virtually indistinguishable from those of humans so much so that they could be confused at a crime scene.

•Oak trees do not produce acorns until they are fifty years of age or older.

•A dragonfly flaps its wings 20 to 40 times a second, bees and houseflies 200 times, some mosquitoes 600 times, and a tiny gnat 1,000 times.

•Mosquito repellents don't repel. They hide you. The spray blocks the mosquito's sensors so they don't know you're there.

•A dragonfly can fly backwards just as fast as it can forwards.

Tommo
Sun Aug 22, 2010, 11:06 AM
•Asparagus and Rhubarb are the only two that can live to produce on their own for several growing seasons. All other vegetables must be replanted every year.
•Strawberries is the only fruit that has its seeds on the outside.
•Lettuce is the only vegetable or fruit that is never sold frozen, canned, cooked, or in any other form but fresh.
•Apples, not caffeine, are more efficient at waking you up in the morning.
•Though hazardous if smoked, tobacco leaves contain a number of nutritional substances that can sustain life for a time if no other food is available.

Mickey C
Sun Aug 22, 2010, 10:48 PM
I think most of those I can across during my research for this night, except for the koala one :)

Oh, and I think everyone knows that elephants can't jump :)

Tommo
Sat Sep 18, 2010, 09:55 AM
Well ya got anymore my friend ?
As these are fun to read ;)

Mickey C
Fri Oct 01, 2010, 10:22 PM
Just a quick one. I found out the lead singer from 4 non blonds is a songwriter now and wrote Whatcha Waiting For for Gwen Stefani, Get This Party Started for Pink, and Beautiful for Christina Aguilera :)

Merrilyn
Sun Oct 03, 2010, 02:30 AM
Did you know that a giraffe has the same number of neck bones as a human. They're just larger :P

Mickey C
Sun Oct 03, 2010, 11:32 PM
Hey wow, go the giraffe's :D

The average human emits approximately 95 watts of energy as heat in the form of infrared light. A standard 100 watt incandescent light bulb emits only about 5% of its energy as visible light, the rest is given off as heat in the form of infrared light. This means the average human produces the same amount of heat as a 100 watt light bulb.

Drinking 16 ounces of ice water(0 degrees Celsius), requires the body to burn 17.5 Calories to warm the water up to body temperature. The recommended daily intake of water is 64 ounces (eight 8-ounce glasses). The body will burn 70 Calories if this amount is consumed as ice water.

Human fingers do not contain any muscles other than the small muscles attached to each hair follicle, which contract to make the hairs stand on end, causing goose bumps. The muscles that move the finger joints are in the palm and forearm. The long tendons that deliver motion from the forearm muscles may be observed to move underneath the skin at the wrist and on the back of the hand.

Consumption of TNT turns urine amber or deep red, which people often mistake for blood.

So many more I've found recently but don't want to hog a thread XD