PDA

View Full Version : A.Bitaeniata won't spawn

marty_87
Fri Jun 18, 2010, 10:49 PM
Hello Hello,

Well this is my 1st post on what looks to be great looking forum!

I have a trio of A.Bitaeniata (yellow) WC in a 60L 2ft tank and I cant get them to spawn?? Its just them with a few dither fish, they have lots of cover and 2 caves to spawn in but they have only done so once but the eggs only lasted few days then they were gone?

The only thing I can think of is the ph which is about 7 and I'm guessing it should probably be around 6-6.5? Am I right? Or are there any other issues I should be looking at??

Thanks!

gingerbeer01
Fri Jun 18, 2010, 11:06 PM
I would also be looking at your TDS, or hardness. I suspect that it is not soft enough - and that is probably more important.

Be readdy when they breed - in that size tank the female that breeds may well drive the other female and male away - possibly right out the tank.

marty_87
Fri Jun 18, 2010, 11:50 PM
I would also be looking at your TDS, or hardness. I suspect that it is not soft enough - and that is probably more important.

Be readdy when they breed - in that size tank the female that breeds may well drive the other female and male away - possibly right out the tank.

Ok thanks, what kh and gh should I be looking for?

Oh really ok I'll have to watch for that when they do breed.

Thanks

swampy1972
Sat Jun 19, 2010, 12:12 AM
Hi Marty,

Welcome to DF! There are a lot of very knowledgable Apisto keepers here. I'm learning something new everytime I log on.

All the best with your A.Bitaeniata ;)

marty_87
Sat Jun 19, 2010, 12:22 AM
Hi Marty,

Welcome to DF! There are a lot of very knowledgable Apisto keepers here. I'm learning something new everytime I log on.

All the best with your A.Bitaeniata ;)

Hey swampy! I can believe I have never come across this forum before!

steph
Sat Jun 19, 2010, 02:51 AM
hi marty

welcome to discusforums :)

Referring to Cichlid Atlas 1 all it says is exclusively black water species - very unlike it to not give actual specifics. But I would take blackwater to mean pH < 6 and hardness of about 2 - 3 max.

Try adding lots of Indian Almond leaves and some straight rainwater and make sure there is nothing buffering the tank.

Also very interestingly the book says to keep a large group eg: 10 -20 in a large aquarium 150cm! with not just dither fish but 'predatory' fish eg catfish / dwarf pikes. Apart from the fact you cant get dwarf pikes in Aus :( in this scenario the brood care roles are easier for the fish to define and the male will defend a 20 cm ish radius territory and the female looks after the babies.

good luck and let us know how you go

- another useful spawning trigger is the once your water is right, leave the tank for a month or so, no or minimal water changes, followed by massive frequent changes (30 -50% every other day) for a week of slightly cooler water - simulates teh rainy season, coincide this with lots of live food and you should have a good chance.

steph

marty_87
Sat Jun 19, 2010, 04:42 AM
Ok thanks for that!

What live food do u normally feed apistos? Brine shrimp?

steph
Sat Jun 19, 2010, 09:42 AM
I mostly feed mine mosquito larvae, occassionally baby brine shrimp, and frozen brine shrimp/rotifers.

They eat a wide range of live food, just stick away from blood worms as some species cant seem to handle these.

cheers

steph

marty_87
Sat Jun 19, 2010, 10:38 PM
Oh mosquito larvae where do u get them from? Do you just leave water outside and wait or do you grow them?

Hassles
Sun Jun 20, 2010, 08:34 AM
Hey Marty

My only (additional) advice is this - put the A.bitaeniata into a larger tank. I have "never" bred this specie in a small tank and have noted those who house this specie into a larger tank seem to breed them without the fuss.

Also - females can easily kill a male in such a small tank so....be watchful.

take care

steph
Sun Jun 20, 2010, 10:03 AM
Yes

Cichlid Atlas 1 says a 150cm tank for bitaeniata

Mosquito larvae - I either put a bucket of water outside, just put some leaves or sticks in it - you need to have something breaknig the surface tension. Or I collect them from some rock pools near the beach which are quite brackish.

Steph

apistos: 2 inch fish with a 20inch personality

Rod
Mon Jun 21, 2010, 05:48 AM
I agree with gingerbeer(and it's not often I agree with engineers!!!!)

Personally I'd take out 50% of the water and replace it with rainwater.....

Then use 2/3 rainwater to 1/3 treated tap water for 30% water change each week

Feed blackworms every other day......my bet is they will breed
:wink:

marty_87
Mon Jun 21, 2010, 11:27 AM
Oh ok, which apistos are better in that size tank??

Where do u get blackworms from?

Thanks

Hassles
Mon Jun 21, 2010, 11:48 AM
Oh ok, which apistos are better in that size tank??

Where do u get blackworms from?

Thanks

many Apistogramma species can be easily bred in smaller tanks, others require more space because of agression, physical size etc.

Blackworms are available through decent aquariums. You'll find good information here http://www.blackworms.com.au/TA/

Blackworms should look good and not smell when you acquire them - if in doubt don't buy them and definately don't feed them to your fish if you have doubts. These blackworms are available live and freeze dried. All my fish go nusto when I feed them live blackworms.

take care

marty_87
Tue Jun 22, 2010, 09:48 AM
Would A.agassizi be suited better in that tank or not really? I could swap them with my A.agassizi flemenco that are in my 4ft?

Hassles
Tue Jun 22, 2010, 10:07 AM
Would A.agassizi be suited better in that tank or not really? I could swap them with my A.agassizi flemenco that are in my 4ft?

Personally if you have that option I would do it but...the environment eg: water parameters etc need to be suitable. If the agassizi breed in the smaller tank rehouse the male. I started breeding Apistos in standard 2" foot / 50 litre tanks (600x300) but have since had an array of 750x400x300 (90 litre) tanks built which are much better as I can squeeze in a heap more stuff.

take care

gingerbeer01
Tue Jun 22, 2010, 10:36 AM
I keep my fresa in a small tank that have similar comments to bitaeniata in terms of space (no surprises there..._. I think complex environments are a big issue. Few other tricks to keep apitos in smaller tanks.

Firslty if you can set up two tanks side by side - they can be fooled into thinking there is a large threat from the next tank and "fooled"" into playing nice.

A second alternate to this is the mirror- a mirror will distract some guys from giving there little woman hell and give her time to get in the mood.

My third favorite is a fish net - boy goes in and girly gets to drive him wild with her feminie charms while safe from his over excited libedo. let him go when the time is right and wham... Bam.... Thankyou mam.

I should be a marriage counsellor.

Now Rod - that comment on gingerbeers......

steph
Tue Jun 22, 2010, 10:47 AM
the other thing - dont leave them on their own.. not the engineers, the fish!!

give 'em some dithers/targets to play with.

my panduro pair would have a bar of each other and I put 4 endlers in the tank. about two weeks later, spawning panduro but no endlers left :(

so be prepared to pull the dithers out !

steph