PDA

View Full Version : Doxycycline

swampy1972
Wed May 12, 2010, 12:19 PM
Can anyone tell me what Doxy can be used for and in what dosage? I believe it's a broad spectrum antibiotic.
I have 100mg tabs and was wondering the best application for them.
Cheers

TW
Wed May 12, 2010, 10:55 PM
Hi

Mines powder form - I will have to check the active ingredient at home. From that, you might see how your doxy compares.

Jothy gave me the dosage rate of 15mg/L repeated daily with a 25-30% water change inbetween. I took the info Jothy gave me to my vet, who worked out what I needed to use of the powder he prescribed. I redosed the tank daily.

It is a antibiotic, so you would use it for anything where you previously might have used say Tetracycline. They are related, but from what i hear, the Tetracycline is not very useful anymore. Due to overuse, there's a lot of resistance to it & so the doxy was a better choice.

I used it to treat septicaemia, which it cured. As septicaemia was only the secondary issue, the fish still died (but not of septicaemia).

Pheonix
Fri May 14, 2010, 10:07 PM
Hahaha

Have you got some excess malaria treatment Brad? wonder if fish have Doxy dreams too

swampy1972
Fri May 14, 2010, 10:33 PM
Hahaha

Have you got some excess malaria treatment Brad? wonder if fish have Doxy dreams too

Just being cautious.. wouldn't want my fish coming down with malaria.. :lol:

Do you know if Premiquin (spelling?) can be used as a wormer for Discus? I'll have to do the irridication cycle when I get home so I'll try to get some ''extra" if it's worth while. :wink: