PDA

View Full Version : female leopard snakeskin

leo
Wed Mar 10, 2010, 07:13 PM
hi can you help my female leopard snakeskin she has stopped eating all she does is float at the back of the tank. she was laying eggs every week but unfortunately they had no chance as i have her in a community tank, i have had a good look at her and she looks ok just a bit thin.
many thanks

blackwater spa
Thu Mar 11, 2010, 07:05 AM
Would you be able to put her into her own hospital tank?

swampy1972
Thu Mar 11, 2010, 07:31 AM
I'd agree. Put her in a small hospital tank, raise the temp to about 30'C. You could try a general salt bath for her (could anyone else confirm if this would be a good idea?).
Also try temping her with bloodworms once she's in there. She might just be being out competed for food by the others. None of my fish ever turn them down. HTH

blackwater spa
Thu Mar 11, 2010, 08:34 AM
Yup, discus gobble up frozen bloodworms! My discus especially like the Hikari brand of frozen bloodworms. You could put the thawed bloodworms into a worm-feeder and add a few drops of Sera Fishtamin (liquid vitamins for fish) to it, to help replenish all the energy and nutrition she's used up by laying her eggs. Give her a couple of days on bloodworms to get her eating again. Once she starts eating again, though, I'd add some balanced flake or pellet food for improved nutritional content and to aid her digestion, eg, Sera Vipagran, Sera Flake Menu or Sera GVG-Mix.

A little bit of salt placed in one heap in only one corner of the tank helps your discus to choose the right osmolality (concentration) of salt within the tank to suit her needs. Salt helps by reducing the energy that your fish has to expend to maintain the more concentrated levels of salt that is found inside her body tissues and in her bloodstream, when compared to the low concentration of salt that is found in the freshwater outside. By reducing the energy that she has to spend in maintaining body homeostasis, she can put more energy into getting better and putting on weight.

swampy1972
Thu Mar 11, 2010, 02:15 PM
Interesting info about the salt. I've learnt something else new!!
If you can get her started on bloodworms, try a bit of beefheart mix. It really helps to put their condition back on. Either bought frozen or home made, they love it.
Good luck..

leo
Thu Mar 11, 2010, 03:31 PM
unfortunately no as i have a breeding pair in pair tank and some babies

leo
Thu Mar 11, 2010, 03:37 PM
can you give me any other advice as i am using my spare tank

swampy1972
Fri Mar 12, 2010, 01:06 AM
I was once forced to use an opaque plastic childs lunch box with heaps of 3mm holes drilled in the bottom as a DIY isolation tank.
The plastic floats so no need to add floats. It allows you to keep the fish quite and it away from the others. The opaque plastic also stops it from stressing.
It worked for a group of juvies that were too small and being bullied away from the food.