PDA

View Full Version : new to discus....very new!!!!

jen78250
Thu Feb 17, 2005, 01:53 AM
So, I have mastered almost all freshwater fish and the only step left was to try discus. I have a 55 gallon tank heavily planted with four discus. I just ordered 4 more off the internet. This is the first time I have ever ordered fish to be delivered, so I am terrified. Please let me know what I should do as soon as they arrive. I am setting up a quarantine tank for them, but should I add salt? Treat with other meds? What signs should I look for to determine a healthy or sick fish? I have jumped in blind to the discus and I want to be prepared. Please let me know anything and everything.

PinoyDiscus
Thu Feb 17, 2005, 09:01 AM
Welcome to the wonderful world of discus keeping! Ok first off, if you got the discus from a reputable breeder then they are most likely healthy and will arrive in pretty good shape. Tank bred/raised discus are pretty tough fish despite their reputation. If we're talking about wilds then that's another story.

Your discus were most probably raised in barebottom tanks and would need to be acclimated to the water in your planted tank. I would suggest that you ask the breeder that you got them from about his water parameters and the food that they are used to eating. Match the water in your quarantine tank to these parameters as closely as you can. Float the bag for at least fifteen minutes in your tank then gently net out your fish and let them swim out of the net. Don't be alarmed if you see them lying on their sides. This is normal behavior for shipped discus.

Observe their behavior closely. They might seem pale from stress initially but their colors should return (if juveniles/adults) in a few minutes. Don't feed them for the first day. They are unlikely to eat and this will needlessly pollute the water. If they are still not eating for the next few days, don't be alarmed, instead add some marine salt (1 tbsp/10 gallons) and keep the temperature at around 30-31C. The heat will accelerate their metabolism and make them hungry. Feed small amounts of food until they are eating normally. Change water 50% daily during the acclimation period.

This worked for me the first time I had discus. They're now healthy and eating like little pigs in my planted tank, hehe....

Good luck! :D

flukes
Thu Feb 17, 2005, 09:36 AM
Thats some good advice, can i just add for that first 15mins and a couple more after , you will want too keep the lights out. If they cant see you movements and others around they will feel alot more safe.

Can we ask who your getting the fish from and how far they are travelling (ie where you live?)

If you want you can update your profile so people can relate too stores or other things in you area.. (Just helps you and us)

Other than that your knowlege in other freshwater fish should give you a good understanding of importance of stable water secs..

Merrilyn
Thu Feb 17, 2005, 10:25 AM
Welcome Jen, and welcome Pinoy.

Jen your first venture into discus need not be daunting. They are tough little fish, but just remember that in their native homeland, the water is warm, around 28 to 30 degrees, very soft, slightly acid, around 6.5 ph and very, very clean.

Now, keep that in mind when you are setting up your tank and you won't go wrong.

The answers you are looking for are all here on this forum, so settle back and do some reading. Good luck and welcome to the wonderful world of discus.

jen78250
Thu Feb 17, 2005, 09:08 PM
Thanks to all of you! I think as far as my tank set up goes I am doing good. I did alot of reading before I began this, but most things are general care. I have a 55 gallon tank with soft water, a ph that is stable of 6.4, 88 degree water. I am using kent marine's r/o right, black water expert, discus essential, low range controller, and pro plant. I set up this tank a month ago and did regular water changes to monitor it and make sure it was stable before buying my fish. I guess I have just been scared because I lost one discus 2 days after buying it. It looked and seemed fine. I have read that discus don't die for no reason, so I am curious as to what you look for in a fish that is sick. My other fish show obvious signs. For example my oscars are huge pigs, so if one doesn't eat (or splash water every where for food...I know to start watching closely, do water changes, raise temp, etc). The four discus I have are pretty timid eaters, so I honestly can't tell you if they are eating or not. They have begun to not be so shy and aren't hiding at the back of the tank anymore, so with time I am believing that they are adjusting well and I just need patience. I ordered fish from somethingphisy based in Tampa, Florida. I live in San Antonio, Texas so they won't be traveling to far. Like I said...I am setting up a quaratine tank for when they arrive, but I have read various topics here and people talk about deworming your fish every six months and other diseases and I just want to know what I should do for my fish such as treatments when they arrive, how long I should quarantine fish for, what should tell me they are well, or not so well for that matter, do you treat discus that show no symptoms...wow after all that I guess I want a step by step...hope ya'll enjoy typing because I will take all the knowledge you would like to give me.

Thanks Again!!!!

bob
Fri Feb 18, 2005, 02:57 AM
hi the floating in the bag is old school empty the bag pour into small tank bowl whatever , pour cup off water into it, start a drip tube from your tank to where new fish is with a piece off air and maybe some kinda clamp like a clothesepin let the water drip in until it matche your water perimeters;OHH! The cup of water is from your tank, it is called aclimation. let us know how its going Bob

flukes
Fri Feb 18, 2005, 05:42 AM
Jen,
Some signs of a sick discus a fairly obvious. Things like fins clamped, dark in color, white feces and lumps/bumps along the body are just some that come too mind. Then there is ICH which iam sure you have experienced with other fish.

But dont stress too much until you think something is wrong, dont go dunping meds into the tank without knowing exactly what is wrong. Thats why we are here, there is a illness section where if you discribe what the symptoms are then iam sure someone will be able too help..

jen78250
Fri Feb 18, 2005, 06:43 AM
Thank you....that was exactly what I needed to know!!!! I just wanted to make sure I didn't need to do anything unless I saw signs.