PDA

View Full Version : Q' Relating to Colour of eggs, Need advice, pair just spawn

bmt
Tue Nov 10, 2009, 12:34 PM
Hello Everyone,

I have a question about my pair of discus, they were spawning 3 days ago, the color of the eggs were clear to a brown during the first day, ever since the 2nd to 3rd day they have changed to a creamy white color, no longer clear. There are no fungus, or any kind of growth on them and the discus are still guarding the eggs.

I was planning to move the discus into a bigger tank, but before i could they surprised me!

so i have a few questions

Are the eggs still fertile?
If not why are the parents still guarding the eggs if there not fertile?
Is it ok to move discus into the bigger tank and forget about the eggs? Or should i wait...

Oh and another thing... The discus laid the eggs on the heater... haha :

Are the eggs fertile? - Should i just leave them be?

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k273/nguyenbmt9/discusspawn.jpg

Thankyou

Hollowman
Tue Nov 10, 2009, 03:33 PM
Sorry to say that the eggs are now dead.

Turning white is an indication that they were not fertilised. It looks like they laid on the heater too, so maybe they have been cooked too.

I would remove the eggs, and if you want to see them lay again, maybe put a cone or slate in for her to lay on.
Do you have photos of the pair ? are they the same strain ?

bmt
Wed Nov 11, 2009, 01:01 AM
Ahh, thats unfortunate, i woke up this morning and they seem to have eaten the eggs, all thats left are the marks, im quite sure the eggs were cooked too...

Im just testing the water of the bigger aquarium, i will move them into it and place a cone in their.

I'll take more pictures and show everyone, though i did manage to take a video of them spawning. I'll post up a link for that too.

Thankyou

ILLUSN
Wed Nov 11, 2009, 01:37 AM
mount your heater horizontal, I've lost 2 females to verticle heaters, I'll never do it again.

bmt
Wed Nov 11, 2009, 07:46 AM
I have a habit of doing that, i'll change all my heaters horizontal!

thankyou

swampy1972
Tue Dec 15, 2009, 10:28 AM
Good advice Illusn.
I believe there's photos on here somewhere of a poor female that's burnt her tube scarring it over. She subsequently got egg bound and died.
I chose to put one of those plastic guards around my heater temporarily because my pair starting paying too much attention to it, even horizontal. They soon lost interest thankfully.