PDA

View Full Version : Question from brisbaneight regarding water bill!!!!

xrboy_85
Wed Oct 28, 2009, 10:05 PM
Hey all i thought i would ask the question to see how many of you get a water bill every quater?.

Since i have been keeping discus i have had two water bills from the last 2 quaters, after the first i replaced our shower rose with a water saving one and cut back all car washing etc.

Has any one else had any experience with this i probabley change about 350ltrs through my 4ft tank per week, it has a total capacity of 425 ltrs less gravel etc

Thanks Justin

Matt15
Thu Oct 29, 2009, 07:57 AM
Water bills are standard with your rates bill for Brisbane City Council which is sent quarterly.
Water fees have increased as expected with all utilities these days. There are some differences thou depending on many factors. E.g. some old town houses/unit complex only have the one water metre for the entire block so water fees are usually devided up between each unit.

xrboy_85
Thu Oct 29, 2009, 10:20 PM
i understand that side of things Matt, how ever i am more curious as to weather anyone else running tanks is using apparentley 600ltrs+ per day.

I just thought it seemed impossible for 2 people, seeing you could average out i change 50ltrs through the tank per day.

ILLUSN
Thu Oct 29, 2009, 11:03 PM
check for a leak!, read your meter before you leave for work then again after on a day noone is home, if its changed you have a leak, my bet is slow seep from the toilet system.

my bill sits dead steady on $500 a quarter but i change atleast 500L a day.

xrboy_85
Fri Oct 30, 2009, 02:09 AM
that's my plan for next week jothy. 500ltrs a day i wish, its times like this i wish i never left mum and dads, they have a bore!! limitless water they have the greenist lawn in the street!!

Maybe i could rent their garage out!!!!!!!! any one want to donate some tanks and stands!!!!!!

Matt15
Fri Oct 30, 2009, 04:12 AM
Justin most bores are loaded with lead which certainly isn't any good for your fish.

xrboy_85
Fri Oct 30, 2009, 05:12 AM
interesting you say that matt, they had the water tested when it was put in and the water has less salt than tap water, which they drink straight from the tank, my bro has a 6ft tank with 5 clown loaches and a 200mm long ghost knife and pumps the water straight in. has been doing so for 2 years now

Ps i thought you were getting out discus matt!!!

Matt15
Fri Oct 30, 2009, 06:36 AM
Down sizing mate.... not getting out.

Bore water is obvisouly dependant on your location.
My parents have used a rual bore water for 25+ years now and there discus have always done well short term but there health would slowly decline over the years.

They had there water tested many years ago which found large traces of lead amongst other minerals.
They also spent $5,000 on further tests as none of there breeding bitches would fall pregnant. It was later found that the cause was in the bore water. Another problem was acidic soil for gardening but thats another story.

You really need to consider your location. Urban area bores must be filtered.

xrboy_85
Fri Oct 30, 2009, 06:56 AM
yeh their water is slightley more acidic than normal tap water, they use a bit of lime every now and then on the lawn. I am just surprised mainly on the growth rate of the ghost knife and the loaches he is a very busy apprentice and changes their water like once a month and only feeds them every 2-3 days and yet they are huge

Matt15
Fri Oct 30, 2009, 07:19 AM
Hey I visited a certain LFS @ Chermside today. He's receiving new stock tomorrow in particular San Merahs if your interested i'd be having alook.

xrboy_85
Sat Oct 31, 2009, 01:30 AM
Thanks for the heads up big fella!!

rex82
Sat Oct 31, 2009, 11:26 PM
lmao....seems alot of us get our stock through this LFS.....hahaha

Matt15
Sat Oct 31, 2009, 11:55 PM
lmao....seems alot of us get our stock through this LFS.....hahaha

The Japanese certainly know how to care and look after there fish....;)
He sources his fish from Rod Lewis.

rex82
Sun Nov 01, 2009, 03:36 AM
all my pairs have come through him and are excellent fish, advice is always good and fish are always healthy.....better than what i can say about 95% of shops in bris

Old Dave
Sat Nov 07, 2009, 12:35 PM
I'm just up the road from Chermside at the moment.

Pls PM LFS details!! :lol: :lol:
And any others I should check out while I'm here.

Thanks
Old Dave

Old Dave
Sat Nov 07, 2009, 12:48 PM
I'm just up the road from Chermside at the moment.

Pls PM LFS details!! :lol: :lol:
And any others I should check out while I'm here.

Thanks
Old Dave