PDA

View Full Version : Bright green alge

paddyedgar
Tue Oct 06, 2009, 04:45 AM
I have recently noticed the appearance of a bright green (almost irridescent) alge / fungus type growth on thr styro rock backing and some leaves. It seems to syphon off easily but reappears in a few days. Can anyone tell me what it is and how to get rid of it. The only things I have done differently of recent is add a CO2 setup and also AZOO liquid carbon.

Thanks

Paddy

ILLUSN
Tue Oct 06, 2009, 05:32 AM
You have too much light and/or too much NO3 try doing bigger water changes and reduce your photoperiod

mcloughlin2
Tue Oct 06, 2009, 09:36 PM
You should try purchasing some algae eating fish. When you add co2 and fertilizers in the tank for plants you also feed the algae. Larger water changes are not convient for a planted tank so I would suggest a natural alternative (Algae eater)

paddyedgar
Wed Oct 07, 2009, 02:13 PM
Thanks Guys,

I normally do 35-40% changes every third day but I will try to up it a bit.
I have three plecos but they seem to hibernate a lot. Can you suggest anything else I might add.

Thanks

Paddy

ILLUSN
Wed Oct 07, 2009, 10:35 PM
whats your water chemistry? and whats your photoperiod, does the tank get any sunlight?

Fishpimpin73
Thu Oct 08, 2009, 01:54 AM
Are you sure that it is actually and algal bloom and not something like cyanobacteria?

And for the record, there are no such things as "algae eaters"

There are species that will consume algae if proper feedings are not given, however the amount of waste created by these little cows is detrimental to the systems health as well as your fish's