PDA

View Full Version : Not sure what to do

m.ingram
Wed Aug 05, 2009, 04:53 PM
I bought a new discus on sunday when i got it home and put it into my qt tank i noticed it had done some clear poos so i treated it with prazi.Yesterday afternoon i noticed it was sitting on the bottom of the tank on a 45 degree angle excreating alot of slime coat and gone dark.So i did a 95% water change and treated the tank with tetracycline as sergested in Andrew sohs books.I have just got home from work and noticed that the fish is swimming up right but still alot of excreation.should i keep using tetracycline and if so how often should i dose the tank or should i start treating with something else.

m.ingram
Thu Aug 06, 2009, 02:46 AM
Just wondering i just got some pp so should i treat with pp.Fish is still dark and excreating alot of slime coat and back on the bottom on a 45 degree angle on its side.

m.ingram
Thu Aug 06, 2009, 04:20 PM
so what no one can help me or let me know if im doing the right thing then hey.

Hollowman
Thu Aug 06, 2009, 08:30 PM
I would check your water parameters first. You have moved them to your system which is different to where they came from I expect. Shock I suspect of some description. Blanket treating without knowing the water properties is not good imo. You have given a dose of 2 meds already since Sunday, don't go throwing more at them, give them lots of good water and observe for now.

lpiasente
Thu Aug 06, 2009, 10:18 PM
I would check your water parameters first. You have moved them to your system which is different to where they came from I expect. Shock I suspect of some description. Blanket treating without knowing the water properties is not good imo. You have given a dose of 2 meds already since Sunday, don't go throwing more at them, give them lots of good water and observe for now.

+ 1 :wink: she is one beeeeeeeeeeeeewdiful fish.

m.ingram
Fri Aug 07, 2009, 01:43 AM
Thanks for your reply hollowman i will just do 80% to 90% daily water changes then and not top up with meds.Should i add some salt or just leave that too thanks again Hollowman i was at a bit of a lose and not too sure if i was doing the right thin[{ i paniced a little }

Hollowman
Fri Aug 07, 2009, 07:45 PM
i paniced a little }
we all do it :wink:

m.ingram
Sat Aug 08, 2009, 03:35 AM
Thanks again i will let you know how it all goes

m.ingram
Mon Aug 10, 2009, 08:37 AM
Just a quick up date the new one is back to good colour {she looks better then when i bought her} but hasnt eaten since i got her.I have tryed live brine shrimp and black wormas well as beef heart and other frozen foods but she isnt interested.Should i just keep doing large water changes or is there somrthing else i should be doing?

ph 6.5
nitrite 0
nitrate 0 I would think this is because of the large water changes
temp 28 degrees

Hollowman
Mon Aug 10, 2009, 12:17 PM
ou could try to raise the temperature slowly to 31 degrees for a few days, this will elevate the fish's metabolism and might get it feeding again.

m.ingram
Mon Aug 10, 2009, 12:54 PM
Thanks i will give that a go

m.ingram
Tue Aug 11, 2009, 07:29 AM
today just noticed a white poo in the qt tank two of the other fish in this tank are black one is tail standing still doing 90% water changes daily turned temp up to 31 degees last night but dont seem to be getting anywhere.i feel like im beating my head up against a wall.