PDA

View Full Version : Help: feeding time

gerra456gt
Sat Jun 27, 2009, 02:06 AM
Help I have a community tank, and my 4 Juvi discus seem to live at the back of the tank!
A problem I have is that when it comes to feeding time, the discus does not want to eat. It seems to me they are bit shy. My Blue turk is fine but the other 3 just hide. What is the best way to get them to eat, as I have made my first BH Mix and I want them to get the Nutritional benefits from the food. What’s the best way for them to come get the food.
All the other fish love the BH mix.

lpiasente
Sat Jun 27, 2009, 03:04 AM
What are your other community fish? If they are juvis I wouldn't be keeping them in a community tank (made that mistake before). They really need to be in a bb tank on their own fed several times a day with lots of water changes. What are your tank conditions temp, ph ammonia nitratre nitrite ?

Hollowman
Sat Jun 27, 2009, 07:15 AM
yes, please answer all the above. :wink:

gerra456gt
Sun Jun 28, 2009, 02:13 AM
i have a few fish but not that many
1 clown loach
5 congotetra
6 small tetras
3 BN
3 Rummy
4 little S.A.E
All in aqua one 980 which is 220l.
Tank tep is around 28C
ph ammonia nitratre nitrite are all fine and are at normal levels.
i do a water change one a week.

Hollowman
Sun Jun 28, 2009, 06:45 AM
So what are the readings for your water, 'fine' tells us nothing.

I would not put Congo tetras with discus, they swim too fast to be together, they will out swim the discus, which will be shy at feeding time. I also dont like clown loaches with discus, they are too erratic and again this upsets discus. If they are shy, and they can find a place to hide, they will hide.
Also, I see you have a large return (water from pump) back into your tank, what sort of water flow/current is going on in the tank? Discus hate fast moving water and will hide to get out of the flow.

I would also be doing more water changes and cleaning to help. Juvenile discus really need to be in a bare tank for proper growth, lots of food and lots of water. You risk stunting your fish right now.
hth

H

bronco
Sun Jun 28, 2009, 08:31 AM
throw a block of bloodworms in there, thats how i got mine to eat at first, but now all my juvis eat all kinds of food.

Hollowman
Sun Jun 28, 2009, 09:05 AM
throw a block of bloodworms in there, thats how i got mine to eat at first, but now all my juvis eat all kinds of food.

Unfortunately, just throwing in foods wont always help, they feel threatened by the faster fish, maybe the water flow, maybe wrong water conditions.