PDA

View Full Version : overly shy?

parkwaydrive
Wed Jun 10, 2009, 07:03 AM
i have two young discus in a 4ft tank with driftwood, barebottomed with two cannisters. the fish are still very skittish and shy only coming out to eat when nobody is near the tank. is this normal behavoir?? i knew they would be a little shy but they have been in there over a week now.

rwel4809
Wed Jun 10, 2009, 07:33 AM
how much light do you have on the tank?

Try turning the light off for a couple of days and see if it makes a difference.

R.

parkwaydrive
Wed Jun 10, 2009, 07:36 AM
ill give that a go again. frustrating cause i love watching the tank cheers

Hollowman
Wed Jun 10, 2009, 06:25 PM
2 fish in any tank will be skittish. Discus are shoaling fish and are probably feeling a little insecure in such a big environment. How may liters is the tank? How long has it been running ? is it mature?

Steve

parkwaydrive
Thu Jun 11, 2009, 08:15 AM
tank is around 220 litres. filters have been running on other tanks for around 12 months so they are cycled. im keen to get another two fish maybe three but i think ill go with two. just waiting for some decent juvi's to come along the young fish at my LFS's havnt been wat im looking for.

ants
Thu Jun 11, 2009, 12:19 PM
Mine took about two weeks to settle in.

bronco
Mon Jun 22, 2009, 02:41 PM
I also started off with 2 juvis, and they were as exactly as you described, ran into the corner, everytime, and only came out if no ones around,for like a month , i reckon. but after i added 3 more discus fish, they are so confident and not shy anymore. and all of them swim normally, when people come and see the tank. i suggest addeding few more, then they will be a treat to watch. :P

parkwaydrive
Tue Jun 23, 2009, 12:26 AM
problem is getting better. added a blue diamond a red dragon and a red melon this has totally changed the way they act instead of swimming away like mad and hiding they just float under the driftwood and stare at me haha thanks for the help will post some pics wen they are mature :) cheers josh

seanyuki
Wed Jul 01, 2009, 05:00 AM
Try hand feeding frozen blood worms ....hold a small piece and place it between your fingers while feeding them....make them get use to this routine....they will come rushing to u whenever is feeding them.

Snookgum123
Wed Aug 26, 2009, 12:29 PM
2 discus it will take longer for them to settle in vs 4discus to 6 discus. What you can do is just put food there and watch them a distance sitting in a chair or something. Keep moving closer as they come out. Do that every day and they wont be scared of you no more