PDA

View Full Version : How is it possible?

jeffa
Sun May 10, 2009, 02:21 AM
Hi

How is it possible to have my tank for like 1 year and have the following readings?

0 ammonia
0 nitrite
0 nitrate

shouldnt i have a reading of something?

I have a 600lt tank with 8 discus, fluval 405, i do a 15% w/c twice a week

Jeffa

Goerge_of_the_Jungle
Sun May 10, 2009, 04:31 AM
those readings doesn't mean there is something wrong - it means your filter is doing its job.
Yes you usually have a reading of Nitrate - but if you have a planted tank - with the water changes your doing - that might be the reason for the no nitrate - its not a bad thing - its actually quite good. Just remember if you do have a planted tank - add plant food.

jeffa
Sun May 10, 2009, 04:49 AM
my tank is barebottom tho?

ILLUSN
Sun May 10, 2009, 05:49 AM
your test kits are out of date

Goerge_of_the_Jungle
Sun May 10, 2009, 06:08 AM
your test kits are out of date

+1

jeffa
Sun May 10, 2009, 07:16 AM
but i even got them tested at the aquarium & i got a new test kit and all gave zero readings to

ILLUSN
Sun May 10, 2009, 12:34 PM
are you leaving the nitrate test for enough time to devolpe? my nitrate test takes 5 mins before it reads a color change.

jeffa
Sun May 10, 2009, 01:11 PM
yep i have even left it up for 10mins & still zero for all 3

hvt200
Sun May 10, 2009, 01:24 PM
its a good thing that your result shows zero. No need to worry.

jeffa
Sun May 10, 2009, 01:46 PM
but everyone says you should have some reading for nitrate?

ILLUSN
Sun May 10, 2009, 11:31 PM
you should have some nitriate, its the end product of the nitrogen cycle, are you reading the tests with a white card or papper behind the tube? the white background makes it easier to read.

jeffa
Mon May 11, 2009, 01:42 AM
yep i put a white paper behind it

Goerge_of_the_Jungle
Mon May 11, 2009, 10:17 AM
mate - here is what we have ruled out:

-Its not because you have plants - It's a BB tank.
-Your test kits AREN'T out of date - LFS has tested your water.
-Your test kits AREN'T contaminated - Again, LFS has tested.

Here's what i think:

Your filter's biological filtration is spot on - your bacteria colonies are so dense - their destroying the bad bacteria as soon as it hits the tank - Your tank is BB - so your fish can see the food more easily on the bottom - meaning less Ammonia - all up - your doing what any fish keeper should be doing - keeping the water in A1 condition.

Here's what i recommend you try:

-Take a sample of water to a different LFS - have them test your water as the test kit at YOUR LFS might also be out of date/contaminated.
-Test your water BEFORE you do any sort of water change or add any sort of chemicals.
-Have a fellow fish loving friend test your water with HIS/HER test kits.

If everything tests spot on - your doing a fantastic job - also - are you adding much 'raw' bacteria to your tank - such as cycle?

jeffa
Mon May 11, 2009, 01:38 PM
all i add is prime to my aged water for atleast 24hrs b4 adding to the tank

Hollowman
Mon May 11, 2009, 05:12 PM
I used to get the same readings on a tank I had a few years ago, it was a 300 L tank with 2 eheim 2217's on it. Stocked with 11 adult discus. Like George says, the cycle is working at an optimum rate. No worries from me. Keep it up. :)

H

jeffa
Tue May 12, 2009, 01:44 AM
i put 2 beef heart blocks into a cup of water over night & tested it now for ammonia with my test kit and it showed a ammonia reading...so im guessing my tst kit is fine?

hvt200
Tue May 12, 2009, 02:32 AM
yes jeffa