PDA

View Full Version : supplier in perth wa.

bilbo
Tue Apr 28, 2009, 12:47 PM
hi all! iam a newbie to discus keeping> can anyone recommend a good shop for live plants and discus ? in perth wa cheers in advance!!

tony09
Sun May 10, 2009, 12:59 PM
I am looking for discus too, local shops dont seem have many in stock....

Hollowman
Sun May 10, 2009, 01:11 PM
Try the forum sponsors, they can sort you out with quality fish.

Greggy
Sun May 10, 2009, 01:37 PM
Try VEBAS in O'Connor

w w w . v e b a s . c o m . a u

I find they don't usually have many Discus in stock but they can order you in practically anything you want. Pleasant staight-talking staff too.

Just remember, almost all LFS's in Perth give you free Ich with every new fish purchased so remember to quarantine/treat all new fish before adding them to your 'pride & joy' aquarium.

Regards,

Greggy

tony09
Sun May 10, 2009, 02:57 PM

thanks Hollowman, very helpful information for a newbie. I just read some articles that it is not a good idea to keep discus in a brand new tank. I will get some cheap fish instead to circle the new tank as first priority once the tank is setup.

Hollowman
Sun May 10, 2009, 03:46 PM

thanks Hollowman, very helpful information for a newbie. I just read some articles that it is not a good idea to keep discus in a brand new tank. I will get some cheap fish instead to circle the new tank as first priority once the tank is setup.

You can cycle a new tank with fish, but some see that is a bit barbaric, there are ways to cycle with just pure ammonia, some people use a rotting shrimp (smelly ooption imo)
Look for links on fishless cycles. I just cycled a 4ft sump filter, it took about 7 weeks to cook, but is now ready for use, I still have not got tanks ready to use it on yet, so i just feed it with ammonia to keep the bacteria alive.

hth

H :)