PDA

View Full Version : Sand vs Gravel...which is better?

Barracuda
Mon Apr 27, 2009, 07:45 AM
What are the pros and cons of each type of substrate?
Which do you prefer? Why?

rwel4809
Mon Apr 27, 2009, 10:51 AM
I recommend pool filter sand because it's cheaper, easier to clean and more natural for discus.

not so go for a planted tank though - it contains no nutrients..

R.

Matt15
Mon Apr 27, 2009, 10:57 AM
Perhaps you could shed some more light as to what type of tank you are wishing to setup.
Obviously plants won't grow nor survive well in sand etc etc.

Barracuda
Fri May 01, 2009, 09:57 AM
I am wanting a substrate that is easy to maintain...gravel vaccing can prove to be a pain sometimes...
Do you ever need to "clean" the sand (like vaccuming it)? Or do you just suck up the waste on the surface?
I also would like plants, do certain plants grow better/worse in sand?

Hollowman
Fri May 01, 2009, 06:04 PM
Yes, you can deep clean the sand like gravel, but if you are not careful, it gets sucked right out :lol: Go for a thin layer of sand, as deeper areas can get anerobic pockets if you are not careful.

DiscusDave
Sat May 02, 2009, 07:40 AM
Obviously plants won't grow nor survive well in sand etc etc.

There are plenty of plants which grow in sand, usually plants which have evolved to get nutrients from the water column rather than substrate. Valls, Java fern, Java moss, Anubis, Crypts etc. Generally these are all the plants which have always been grown in gravel which is a very poor substrate for nutrients anyway unless you add fertilizer.

I agree with Hollowman, anerobic pockets are the biggest issue. Stains from medication can also be a problem - you really need a seperate hospital tank if your main tank is sand.