PDA

View Full Version : How do you gravel vac a densely planted tank?

Barracuda
Wed Apr 08, 2009, 10:54 AM
Hi, I have seen some beautifully densely planted tanks here on this forum. I would love to get my tank to look like that, but I wonder, how would you gravel vac it sufficiently? It would be an annoyance having to replant each time...I am already having trouble vaccing mine... :lol:

DiscusDave
Wed Apr 08, 2009, 09:19 PM
Hi,

You generally don't gravel vac a densely planted tank, you just hold the vac a few cm's above the gravel to remove any mulm.

Dave

Hollowman
Wed Apr 08, 2009, 10:19 PM
and Dave points out exactly the reason why it is best or preferred to grow out juvenile fish in a bare bottom tank. :wink:

ILLUSN
Wed Apr 08, 2009, 11:08 PM
i use a gravel vac for the open areas (feeding area) of my planted tanks, i then use a small gravel vac for around the plants but i NEVER vac any deeper than 5mm near the root zone.

DiscusDave
Thu Apr 09, 2009, 09:36 AM
and Dave points out exactly the reason why it is best or preferred to grow out juvenile fish in a bare bottom tank. :wink:

Yes, planted tanks and discus grow out tanks aren't at all compatible. If you want a planted discus tank, you'll do much better starting with adult discus

RDavies
Wed Dec 09, 2009, 10:09 PM
Its an old post but relevant for me. My tank is pretty heavily planted. What is the problem with having smaller discus in a planted tank?

ILLUSN
Wed Dec 09, 2009, 10:34 PM
too much organic matter (DOC's), also juviniles need HEAVY feeding 3-4 times a day, it is very hard to remove all the uneaten food in a planted tank