PDA

View Full Version : Skitish Discus

shootmeup_elmo
Wed Mar 25, 2009, 06:38 AM
My discus have recently turned really skitish. Freaking out and darting across the tank.

What can be the reasons for this

Too much light ?
Not enough W/C ?
Worms ??

Any help would be great.
Cheers
Ian

ILLUSN
Wed Mar 25, 2009, 08:14 AM
too much light, too high temp, poor water quality (not enough water changes), shock (temp/ph/chlorine), internal paracites, sudden noises, bad positioning of tank (too much traffic), psyco dogs/cats

Matt15
Wed Mar 25, 2009, 10:42 AM
psyco dogs/cats lol :lol:

shootmeup_elmo
Thu Mar 26, 2009, 04:05 AM
Thanks for that Illusn

I think the tank gets a bit too much traffic.
I will have to figure out where else to put it in the house.

As for the physco cats and dogs, there are none :D

cheers
Ian

AHC
Thu Mar 26, 2009, 10:10 PM
How long have you had them and in that location. Mine were skittich when i moved the tank to a more high traffic area but they got used to it. Now they dont mind it. Its one of those things. In minimal traffic they can get skittish if you suddenly walk into the room etc. In high traffic its the same but they will get used to it and soon realise you are no threat. Mine love it there. Always at the side of the tank closest to everyone.

Hollowman
Thu Mar 26, 2009, 10:28 PM
Yes, I'm with Aaron, they will get used to it. I think we generally worry too much, but they will be worse ( imo) if they are put where there is no traffic.

H

BigDaddyAdo
Fri Mar 27, 2009, 08:40 AM
My toddler some bangs on the tank to get their attention and it doesnt seem to bother them..... most of the time anyway....

shootmeup_elmo
Fri Mar 27, 2009, 10:07 AM
mmm...:? well i might just watch the tank for a while and see if there is anything else that is going on that is disturbing / upsetting them.

Cheers
Ian

Bad Inferno
Tue Mar 31, 2009, 01:17 PM
Is your tank fully cycled / established ? Have you done a large filter clean lately? make sure your ammonia/nitrate levels are OK

ozarowana
Fri Apr 03, 2009, 03:52 AM
I'm leaning towards poor water quality or external parasites ie.. gill flukes.

shootmeup_elmo
Fri Apr 03, 2009, 04:34 AM
Water quality I dont think is the problem.
But i am in the process of getting some Fluke and Worm tablets.
Will see how it goes after a treatment.

Thanks for the input

Cheers
Ian