PDA

View Full Version : Dead fish

cleo
Tue Mar 24, 2009, 09:31 PM
Hi one of my filter died yesterday during a water change it was a large water change and I vaccuumed failrly aggressively. Set up new filter and found this morning all my Siamese Algae eaters dead and one tetra. Tested water seems ok within normal range. What do I do as I have discus in there. Also this morning all the discus were at the top of the tank. Thanks Bev

ILLUSN
Tue Mar 24, 2009, 10:43 PM
did you clean the filter before you set it up?

did you use dechlorinater (i have to ask)

add some active carbon to your filter ASAP sounds like some kind of chemical poisoining.

BobbyBruce
Tue Mar 24, 2009, 11:00 PM
Hi Bev,

As has been suggested in your other threads perhaps insufficient filtration to start with.

While you haven't said going by your fish types I feel you are running a planted set up and I'm just wondering how heavily planted the tank is. It should be remembered that plants produce O2 only when the lights are on. During the dark periods they are using O2 not producing it. This could be a cause of the fish gasping at the top particularly during the morning. I use an airpump and two airstones after noticing my discus (and all the other fish), top breathing and have not had the same problem since.

Too late now I would guess but did you put the filter medium from your drop filter into the new filter. This would have helped in establishing the necessary bacteria colony in your new filter, so long as the old filter had not been inactive for too long.

Good luck with everything, hope you don't loose any more.

Regards,

Bob

Hollowman
Tue Mar 24, 2009, 11:02 PM
Hi one of my filter died yesterday during a water change it was a large water change and I vaccuumed failrly aggressively. Set up new filter

Please explain what happened, I don't understand?
Are you saying your filter stopped working, so you replaced it with a new one?
Did you use the old filter media from the filter that stopped, or did you just plug in the new one and went from there?

Also, please post up your water parameters:

Ammonia
NitrIte
NitrAte
Ph

H