PDA

View Full Version : Cloudy eye from mollies?

Benzo
Thu Mar 19, 2009, 05:36 PM
A month ago I set up a new 55 gallon discus tank with 3 snakeskins and 2 marlboros, all about 2-3 inches long. It has adequate canister filtration and aeration. I got a deal on the discus from the local fish store because they hadnt been able the discus for almost a year and needed to clear space. Okay to my question... I recently added a couple other mild mannered community fish including some mollies to the tank. One of the mollies, a silver lyretail, has been picking on my discus. But here's the wierd thing; none of the other mollies are picking on the discus and the silver lyretail is only picking on the snakeskins not the marlboros! One of the snakeskins is very stressed and seems to have a cloudy eye and pruney skin. I have temporarily isolated the silver lyretail in a floating jar and am going to get some pimafix and a test kit... but i dont expecvt much from that. What should I do?! Sorry about the long post.

Hollowman
Thu Mar 19, 2009, 07:14 PM
Get rid of the Mollie,

Test you water,
Ammonia
NitrIte
NitrAte
PH

You need to keep up a regular water change regime ie: 30% - 3 times a week, minimum. How are you preparing your water for changing?

What are you feeding?

lpiasente
Thu Mar 19, 2009, 08:50 PM
Sorry to say Mollies are definaty not peaceful community fish. I loooooooove mollies and all types of them. They are very aggressive but every lps will tell you they are peaceful.I have had them kill each other and not just once. I too made the mistake of putting them in with my discus and had the same results as you. One by one I eliminated them but then I took them all back to the lps. Hollowman is right you need to get rid of them, sorry.

Benzo
Sat Mar 21, 2009, 04:40 AM
all my levels seem fine... 82 degrees and ph of 6.5-7. nothing too extravagant for the discus but enough bogwood to keep em happy. i put the silver lyretail in my roommates lake Malawi tank and its picking on them! ha! the africans are young though so he might not last too long. thanks to hollowman and lpiasente! ill keep you updated on the annoyed discus. is the pruney skin thing normal for them under stress?

Benzo
Sat Mar 21, 2009, 04:46 AM
oh and i just use a 6.5 buffer solution/conditioner with my luke warm tap water for water changes... usually about 20% but ill up it a bit

Hollowman
Sat Mar 21, 2009, 09:36 AM
Glad you moved it, but what are your other parameters? they are important, more so than just the Ph. You need to test these to make sure your fish are not being poisoned.

BigDaddyAdo
Mon Mar 23, 2009, 02:12 AM
Are you using hot water from the tap?