PDA

View Full Version : Apistogrammoides

Hassles
Sat Feb 21, 2009, 09:46 AM
What is it that makes the Apistogrammoides pucallpaensis and illegal import ? if anyone can elaborate.

I asked my LFS to order some from Glassers (via Bayfish) and they were told NO.

Rod
Sun Feb 22, 2009, 04:58 AM
Apistogramma species are a legal import

Apistogrammoides aren't on the list and are therefore are an illegal import

gingerbeer01
Sun Feb 22, 2009, 10:26 AM
but they have been around :wink:

kristina
Thu Mar 26, 2009, 02:06 AM
Apistogrammoides are very aggressive. It is considered a high risk to have them released into our eco-system if by chance they jump out of the water and into a drain. I know, not likely... but they have been known to hunt down and kill other fish withour remorse. The males dominate a huge territory and can kill unresponsive females, it can really get ugly. But the reason they are illegal to import is because if by chance they are released, there is a big chance they will kill and overtake our river systems. The same reason piranhas are illegal. I wouldn't want them in my local river, thats for darn sure!

kristina
Thu Mar 26, 2009, 02:47 AM
hold the phone, here I am, teaching you something... goodness grief, what has this world come to? BTW, I found the forum, you can stop hassling me about it now :P

Hey gingerbeer, I would be interested in a trio if you know who has em. I got offered a piranha about a month ago, but they are ugly little stumps of a fish.

gingerbeer01
Thu Mar 26, 2009, 07:15 AM
Do a search on here and you will ifnd folks who have had them. I am sure they will be in again.

Rod
Thu Mar 26, 2009, 10:15 PM
Perhaps your assessment of these fish is correct Kristina....but I don't believe that's the way the legal import list has been prepared.

I don't believe anyone has assessed Apistogrammoides....and no doubt they have been imported as Apistogramma
Lots of fish come in misnamed....even the legal ones

If they are as big a danger as you say they would be a noxious fish

There are lots of fish on the list list that can and do pose a risk to the environment....and there is a lot not on the list that don't

the list is more about politics

I'd seriously doubt any dwarf cichlid would survive in the wild South of Cairns.....just too cold in winter.

kristina
Fri Mar 27, 2009, 10:59 AM
I could very well be wrong about their assessment for legalization in Australia and their likelihood of survival in our waters over here, but their behavior is far from polite. I was assuming that their illegal status was due to this.

Agreed they come in as another name, it happens all too often. I had originally wanted to get a pair, but then when I found out they were illegal, lost hope immediately. When I have my 4ft ready (if it ever happens... **pulling hair out**) I might have another nosey around for them, if not, Apisto's it is.

Robdog
Fri Mar 27, 2009, 10:29 PM
I'd seriously doubt any dwarf cichlid would survive in the wild South of Cairns.....just too cold in winter.

Works for me Rod! :P

Rod
Sat Mar 28, 2009, 06:45 AM

Works for me Rod! :P

South of Townsville???? :lol: