PDA

View Full Version : Parents not picking off white eggs?

Zephaniah
Fri Jan 30, 2009, 08:00 PM
Still cycling my 29G breeding tank to move my pair into but I've been observing them in the community tank and see that they spawn very often however it doesn't seem like they pick off the eggs that go white.

After the 2nd day or so, it looks like the whiteness spreads to a whole bunch of other eggs and in the end, only a few wrigglers are hatched.

Should I be concerned or will this young pair learn the more they spawn to pick off the white eggs immediately?

Hollowman
Fri Jan 30, 2009, 09:13 PM
Hi Zeph,

I think that your comditions are not optimum for them to yeild a large hatch right now. Maybe too much flow/current around the laying substrate, too high a bacteria count in the water column. In your breeder tank you will (and I am supposing) have just a sponge filter, heater and cone, so keeping your water good will be easier, and when you see them start to get jiggy, turn of the air to the sponge to give them the best chance of fertilisation.
Give it time, you'll get there when conditions are right.

hth

Steve

Zephaniah
Fri Jan 30, 2009, 09:19 PM
Yeah, just a sponge filter + air stone in the 29G tank right now while it's cycling. I'll add the heater and cone in when it's done.

Thanks for the advice