PDA

View Full Version : Whats wrong with my fry?

Mickey_owen7
Tue Jan 20, 2009, 09:20 PM
Hi, i've got a batch of fry 7 weeks old (about 20) with about 2 or 3 not eating, very thin and in the corner. A lil dark on the fins (the healthy ones are just as dark), but can't tell coz there pigeon blood.

I have treated with PP pretty much every second day. I've also used Big-L but not prazi as PP kinda does the same thing. Daily 80% water change, i've added some salt and got 2 x 36 watt UV connected to a 1200L and 1500L canister tank is 240L. Water parametres are fine.

I havn't treated with metro yet, coz my doc won't perscribe (any other wat to get metro).

What do i do??

Hollowman
Tue Jan 20, 2009, 09:53 PM
Why are you using PP so often?

Mickey_owen7
Tue Jan 20, 2009, 10:39 PM
Lol.... yeah i've cut back on it now... but can you tell me what i should do now?

BTW is Salt and UV okay if i use Big-L??

ILLUSN
Tue Jan 20, 2009, 10:41 PM
salt is ok with big L if you want to use any med you need to turn off the UV as the UV will destroy all the meds in the water, what are you feeding?

jimmyg
Wed Jan 21, 2009, 12:34 AM
My babies did this and I had a ammonia spike, so you might want to check all your water parameters.

Mickey_owen7
Wed Jan 21, 2009, 01:17 AM
I'v turn off my UV, dosed with 1ml/7l of big-L and the fish seem a bit better. They are not eating ferociously like before, but nibbling now. Thanks for your help.

And yes the nitrite is quiet high. However i can't do water change with the medication already in. Lol, i;ve removed my mature canister media during pp treatment and have yet to put it in. I will put the filter media in. I'll only add the noodles and bioballs and not the sponge to prevent fluke cysts

Mickey_owen7
Wed Jan 21, 2009, 01:27 AM
Oh... i'm feeding them feed heart and some adult brine shrimp which they tear apart. Haha

Um.. would adding salt kill my nitrifying bacterial hence causing an ammonia nad nitrite spike?

Hollowman
Wed Jan 21, 2009, 06:39 PM
Dont add salt, no need at all.

You also said you cannot change water while medicationg......not true, you just do your water change, replacing the med back to full strength for the amount of water you replace. You cannot afford to keep them with high nitrItes.

H