PDA

View Full Version : amazon swords new shoots been eaten?

iro11a
Tue Jan 20, 2009, 05:35 AM
Wondering if anyone can solve my problem i bought some new plants for my tank and everytime i get new shoots on my amazons the tops of them get eaten away drives me crazy,these are the fish i got in my tank i removed the clown loaches because i thought they would be the cause,

6 Discus 2 clown loaches 5 bristle noses 11 cardinal and 6 cory's

not sure yet if it was the clown loaches yet no new shoots have come up yet.

any help would be great cheers Jono

ILLUSN
Tue Jan 20, 2009, 07:53 AM
clown loaches and bristlenoses will both eat new shoots of swords, clowns like to punch holes in older leaves as well.

iro11a
Tue Jan 20, 2009, 08:27 AM
yeah noticed a few holes in swords i knew clowns did that wasnt sure if the bristlenose would be eating the new shoots or not what sort of plants would be more suited more harder leaf plants maybe?

ILLUSN
Tue Jan 20, 2009, 12:04 PM
try anubias, or javafern both fish seem to leave these alone, aside from them echinodorus green and red horemani seem to also be left alone but these plants do poorly without bright light and at temps above 26C. val is a good choice though my bristlenoses do chew on it a bit.

Blybo
Tue Jan 20, 2009, 11:33 PM
Maybe they aren't getting enough food just from algae etc.? Try some weighted down zucchini every couple of days (just overnight) for a week or so. They love zucchini so will probably leave the plants alone...

iro11a
Wed Jan 21, 2009, 08:36 AM
thanks for the idea ill try the zucchini and see if it gets eaten not much algae in my tank i keep it preaty clean :)

Goerge_of_the_Jungle
Fri Feb 06, 2009, 05:52 PM
lol i had the same issue ... the only fish we have in common is the discus. and to back up my acusation that it could be your discus eating the shoots ... I CAUGHT MINE DOING IT!!!! lol the cheeky bugger! oh well, plenty more plants in there, and atleast i know he is eating his greens! :)