PDA

View Full Version : Ok... Question, need to see difference!..

1fish2fish3fish
Thu Jan 08, 2009, 04:11 AM
I have been through so many threads and posts and so many ppl have said nice fish, looks good, " but the eyes are to big"
So now I ask, of you all out there show me the discus how they should look then, "your" fish not photos on the web.. to see how they were young and now adults to see the difference I would like to compare plzzzz..
Huh! maybe all discus have big eyes when there young and its how you grow them you..that counts..kinda looking at it that way now.. Im probably wrong I know.. just a thought..lol
hope to see some pics soon.. would love to see all these wonderful fish to compare them up to mine I guess..
heres a Leopard discus I ordered myself yesterday, at home now.. how does this one look..lol..
hes cute..hes always right up at the glass checking things out not shy at all..
Sue

jesx57
Thu Jan 08, 2009, 04:48 AM
Nice looking fish, and in my opinion, the eyes are pretty proportionate. It can be hard to get a quality discus for a reasonable price, and you can only do your best trying to grow them out anyway. My problem exactly...mine aren't growing "that" much...

1fish2fish3fish
Thu Jan 08, 2009, 04:57 AM
thanks.. Ive compared this one with the other 2 and the eyes are not as big.. body is larger..
Im just having fun with this post, hope to see before and after pics of some on here..
Im doing water changes every other day, really just like any fish, enough "room" to grow + water quality..best for any fish I say.. lol..
Im enjoying them, quite social little guys.. :)
" they grow into thier eyes"... lmao.. thats my thoughts and Im sticking to it.. no j/k..
its hard to get a good pic too.. and they do even look a little bigger on camera.. huh who knows..
still wanna see some pics.. :)

nicholas76
Thu Jan 08, 2009, 04:58 AM
mate try the photo section or members albums :)

theres tons to look at and compare in those sub sections

1fish2fish3fish
Thu Jan 08, 2009, 05:10 AM
yes thanks.. Ive been checking it out, lots of really nice fish..
cant wait for the 80gal to be ready.

jesx57
Thu Jan 08, 2009, 08:34 AM
" they grow into thier eyes"... lmao.. thats my thoughts and Im sticking to it.. no j/k..

Yeah, good theory . I hope it works. :wink:

1fish2fish3fish
Thu Jan 08, 2009, 03:06 PM
lol I thought so!!.. as you know Im just kidding around..
sue

Hollowman
Thu Jan 08, 2009, 06:26 PM
Hi,

Take a look at these photos. I would say that these fish are of similar age. One is a stunted fish from a lfs, the other from a supplyer who I know has a grade fish.
Look at the eye size in relation to the body on both fish. In a properly growing fish, the eye should fit into a vertical line (through the centre of the eye) at least 7 times, in the stunted fish it is just 4.

As the fish grows, the eye grows at a steady rate, if kept or raised in 'poor' conditions, it will start to stunt, the eyes however will still grow, giving the disproportionate sign of stunting. IMO, once stunted, it is almost impossible to get it back on track.

Sue, these are not my fish, the stunted one was from another member here in another thread, I can post up one of mine too if you like, but the example I have posted is what you should be looking for, even in small fish.

AHC
Fri Jan 09, 2009, 02:59 AM
HI Sue,

Check out the Discus Critique section. This section will show you lots of great fish as well as lots of not so great fish. All have been commented on appropriately. My personal favourite in there, Steve's (Hollowman) Penang E - may he rest in peace.

1fish2fish3fish
Fri Jan 09, 2009, 05:19 AM
that is amazing!! thanks so much I understand now very clear about the stunting of Discus, have never seen it like that before..
So these fish are relitivly the same age, but one has lived in poor conditions and the other has grown conciderably to the size as to be expected in a Discus fish..
I look at my Cobalts and I see exactly that.. only holds 4 eyes down the center stripe.. the Leopard that I have from the looks can be seen with 6 so not as bad..
thanks H.. this helps me a great deal.. I will be looking for this when Im shopping around, for I wont be ordering the rest of my fish through the store I will be going through a breeder anyway, but now I will know this valuable info..
Sue

rex82
Fri Jan 09, 2009, 08:22 AM
LMAO..... Hollowman. those fish look like the fish out of the simpsons.

Hollowman
Fri Jan 09, 2009, 04:40 PM
Glad to be of help to you guys. The round compared to rugby ball shape is one to look out for too Sue :wink:

Aaron, yep a sad day when he went :cry: I have his partner still, a LSS female, they did spawn a few times. I might try to get a good photo of here and post it up in this thread too.

:lol: :lol: Rex.... Sort of scarey looking arn't they :lol: :lol:

H

carolerex
Fri Jan 09, 2009, 10:29 PM
Thank's Hollowman this is a great tool for future reference so I have copied and pasted these photos (just for my own use of course) hope that's OK.
Would be great to see a phto of your LSS female.

Hollowman
Fri Jan 09, 2009, 10:31 PM
Thank's Hollowman this is a great tool for future reference so I have copied and pasted these photos (just for my own use of course) hope that's OK.
Would be great to see a phto of your LSS female.
No prob Carol,
I'll try to get the LSS up tomorrow :)

AHC
Sun Jan 11, 2009, 09:35 PM
I might try to get a good photo of here and post it up in this thread too.

Great that would be nice to see, thank you. :wink:

mistakes r crucial
Sat Jan 17, 2009, 09:33 AM
In general terms I reckon if you can get 5 eyes from top to bottom then you haven't done too bad a job growing them out.
Cheers
MAC

Hollowman
Sat Jan 17, 2009, 11:23 AM
In general terms I reckon if you can get 5 eyes from top to bottom then you haven't done too bad a job growing them out.
Cheers
MAC

I think that strain sometimes plays a role here too MAC, as well as getting good stock to start with.

mistakes r crucial
Sat Jan 17, 2009, 11:40 AM
I totally agree mate and there is no doubt whatsoever about starting with decent stock. Where did that Leopard come from? It looks like Roy Khoo stock.
Cheers
MAC

Hollowman
Sat Dec 12, 2015, 08:34 AM
Just bringing this thread to the top of the pile for those who don't know what a stunted fish is in relation to shape and eye size.