PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of moving internationally...Opinions Please

peppersmom
Thu Dec 04, 2008, 11:33 PM
Just wondering where I should move. I live in Canada now and want to move somewhere with no snow :D I'am an accounting clerk with a credit union, and have no dependants besides furry ones lol.

m.ingram
Fri Dec 05, 2008, 01:36 AM
bahamas :lol:

Mattzilla
Fri Dec 05, 2008, 07:06 PM
Australia mate!!!!!!

lpiasente
Fri Dec 05, 2008, 08:15 PM
Of course you should come to Australia!!

peppersmom
Fri Dec 05, 2008, 11:12 PM
funny your should say that...I was thinking that would be the best choice. But how are your immigration rules? I heard they can be tough.

Mattzilla
Sat Dec 06, 2008, 01:36 AM
http://www.immi.gov.au/

check it out

nicholas76
Sun Dec 07, 2008, 01:30 AM
ive had over 60 flight this year around Oz, so yeah I could probably recommend a place or two lol

I live in Melbourne which is well known for its diversity in terms of food, culture fashion etc. Its not as busy as Sydney but both are ideal places for work. weather is just as diverse dosent snow but it can get cold.

Brisbane and queensland in general has superb tropic weather.

Perth is a wonderful small city, its clean, great weather and beaches but its pretty remote from the rest of Oz

depends what your after life style Versus work?

peppersmom
Sun Dec 07, 2008, 04:48 AM
I dont really do much. Really Im a homebody and so is the mister :D What exactly is cold? Remember Im from Canada

nicholas76
Sun Dec 07, 2008, 05:37 AM
well in comparison ,,, Its not cold to Canada! lol

Matt15
Sun Dec 07, 2008, 12:36 PM
My wife is the HR Manager of a Credit Union here in Brisbane. Should you like warm tropical summers and cool winters forward your resume to me and i'll pass it on. I have no idea if they are looking for someone with your experiences but its certainly worth a look.

The hardest part will be immigration as stated below.

peppersmom
Mon Dec 08, 2008, 05:06 AM
Wow, I didnt even think of Credit Unions in Australia. I will make sure to pass it to you and let me know what she thinks. I will be getting my undergraduate degree with an accounting major.

jim from sydney
Mon Dec 08, 2008, 07:05 AM
The best country in this world.......welcome to AUSSIE LAND

peppersmom
Mon Dec 29, 2008, 08:47 PM
I'm actually getting excited about maybe moving to Australia...now for the visa lol

riverlanddiscus
Tue Dec 30, 2008, 02:22 AM
Move to Adelaide. Smallish city. quiet with little crime rate, good schools, housing more affordable.

I live 3 hours from Adelaide and my good friends have just gone on a 12 month teacher exchange to Canada. Leave today actually. We have had 4 families exchange from Canada and all have loved Adelaide/South Australia.

riverlanddiscus
Tue Dec 30, 2008, 02:23 AM
:P To all you Eastern states!!

nicholas76
Tue Dec 30, 2008, 03:07 AM
Hey dont get me wrong Adelaide is a great place :!:

When ever I want to watch paint dry thats were i go!

:lol: :lol:

riverlanddiscus
Tue Dec 30, 2008, 03:44 AM
At least we can watch the paint dry with our front doors open and know we are safe!!

:lol:

nicholas76
Tue Dec 30, 2008, 04:18 AM
At least we can watch the paint dry with our front doors open and know we are safe!!

:lol:

and thats the best thing about living in a country town lmao!

Adeliade is fine wine country for sure!

riverlanddiscus
Tue Dec 30, 2008, 04:31 AM
Yep we are known for being alcoholics. Sometimes the little town I live in (approx 10,000 pop) seems busier than Adelaide. Lived in Adelaide for 20 years and love it, but if you crave the nightlife, 24hr shopping, neons and people walking down the main mall at night, it really isn't for you. Adelaide is for the less showy and pompous people! :P

peppersmom
Tue Dec 30, 2008, 05:40 AM
Well my significant other wants some land to call his own. How much I don't know. I know I have to be close enough to work and not have to drive 2 hrs each way. I am looking into also regional sponsership or maybe coming to go to school. The tough part with that is the having the whole year of money in the bank. Some people in another forum asked why Oz? I looked at the temp the last 3 weeks being on average -32 degrees celcius and the 2 feet of snow, that was all I need. Besides my guilty pleasure as a horse lover is the Man from Snowy River. I can hear the laughter from here :lol:

peppersmom
Tue Dec 30, 2008, 05:42 AM
Does anyone know of any companies that sponser? Keep the suggestions coming. :D

riverlanddiscus
Tue Dec 30, 2008, 05:52 AM
Man from Snowy River! That's great. Come to the Riverland. Countryside like the movie, cheap land (5 acres for about $60k) and only 3 hours from city.

And It's not that boring in SA.

riverlanddiscus
Tue Dec 30, 2008, 05:53 AM
You are going to have to change your info. I mean what is 225 gallon mean?? gallons?? :D

peppersmom
Tue Dec 30, 2008, 03:30 PM
You are going to have to change your info. I mean what is 225 gallon mean?? gallons?? :D

Yes, sorry being from Canada we adopted alot of the measurements from the U.S. My tanks measurements are 72"long by 24" wide by 30" tall. I will have to calculate the litre measurement, for now lets just say alot. We figure by the time we add sand and rock plus water we are looking at least 3000 lbs.

peppersmom
Tue Dec 30, 2008, 03:38 PM
okay looked it up it would be 851.71 liters...1 gallon is 3.7854118 liters

riverlanddiscus
Tue Dec 30, 2008, 10:14 PM
Large tank then. Having a joke with you about gallons. I am on another forum which is based in USA and familiar with measurement. In Australia, we use centimetres and litres with aquariums. I know there is good sites that calculate with the different units.

peppersmom
Tue Dec 30, 2008, 11:36 PM
yes it is big. Iam in the process of making my own background for it. The filters are on their way, should be here this week. Then we have to re-inforce the floor in the house as it is going on the ground floor not in the basement. Then I can finally after staring at it for 2 months empty can start cycling it....