PDA

View Full Version : Extreme Tank Makeover

moneymike
Thu Nov 20, 2008, 11:11 PM
Hello everyone,
After losing most of my Discus to lack of education, I read everything I could get my hands on, including the posts on this forum.

I originally started my Discus out in a 65 gallon planted tank, but the tank was properly cycled when I introduced them, the plants weren't established. My bristlenose started to eat the Amazons instead of the algae and veggies I fed him. Snails also started to take over, making things less than ideal.

To get things right this time, I got a 40 gallon bare-bottom up and running and quarantined some clown loaches.

Today, I switched the (4) clown loaches to the planted tank to get rid of the snails, or at least control the population. I plan to give them to an eager friend when they have done a good job eating the snails.

The 2 Discus are now in the 40 gallon so I can feed them properly and change the water every other day. I plan to trade them to my local breeder for credit towards getting some juvies, to be raised in the 40 gallon until they reach a good size, so I can move them to the planted tank. At that time, I'll take the loaches out.

Questions:
1. Will my clown loaches leave the plants alone as long as there are plenty of snails to eat?
2. Is my plan sound, or am I setting myself up for failure again?

ILLUSN
Fri Nov 21, 2008, 01:01 AM
1. no clowns love the new growth on some plants and like punching holes in leaves.

2. plan sounds ok, again I'd go bare bottom for a display tank just to make your life easier.

moneymike
Fri Nov 21, 2008, 06:06 AM
Thanks, ILLUSN. I'll trade those loaches in and try leaving lettuce in the tank overnight to get those snails.

I'd like to have the bare bottom for a display, but I love the plants to much to go back. I'm a U.S. Marine. We're stubborn, but get the job done.