PDA

View Full Version : do both Male and Female shake when about to breed?

dam0
Sun Oct 05, 2008, 03:03 AM
hey they i just got a pair of discus 1 week ago and they seem to be settling in fine! im wondering do both females and males shake when they want to breed?

waitaki
Sun Oct 05, 2008, 03:56 AM
yeap sure do! so your guys have settled nicely now have they? If they are starting to dance must be quite happy :lol: :lol:

dam0
Sun Oct 05, 2008, 05:28 AM
yep they are fine now:) i cant wait for them to breed

BigDaddyAdo
Mon Oct 06, 2008, 01:05 AM
What kind are they? Pics?

Ado

dam0
Wed Oct 08, 2008, 12:30 PM
ill get some pics up soon., they are a pair of cobalt blues

bartek
Wed Oct 08, 2008, 09:41 PM
Three of mine have started to dance in the past week or so.

Two paired up and have spawned twice with the eggs surviving one night in the community tank before being eaten and the third discuss has been in the tank a week and has joined in the dancing.

The pair was spawned a second time on the weekend but the new discus (which is much bigger then the rest) kept butting in disturbing them and eating the eggs when he/she could.

May be time to move the pair into their own tank.

BigDaddyAdo
Thu Oct 09, 2008, 12:50 AM
I wonder if you put the female and the new big male into a new tank if they would have a crack at it?

Ado

bartek
Thu Oct 09, 2008, 12:55 AM
Yeah no idea. I can't be sure of the big one's sex at the moment. I have only seen it get in the way, eat the eggs of the pair and do some dancing.

waitaki
Thu Oct 09, 2008, 02:44 AM
if you want to breed the pair will need to be in a tank of their own. But you need to get your other discus some more discus friends, they like being in scholls of 5 of more. Leaving them in the community tank for a few spawns teaches them to be good parents.
Are the two that have spawned definitely male/female?

bartek
Thu Oct 09, 2008, 09:38 PM
Yeah Im pretty sure the spawning pair are male and female.

The eggs seemed to be fertilised and the breeding tubes looked like male and female.

I have a 140L BB cycled tank ready for the pair which I may leave in the community tank for another spawn before I move them.

If I move them this will leave 4 discus in the community tank. 3 small and 1 large.

iro11a
Thu Oct 09, 2008, 11:27 PM
I have a 140L BB cycled tank ready for the pair which I may leave in the community tank for another spawn before I move them.

I would try and get a smaller tank if you could a stanard 2 foot is what i use then lower the water level after fry are free swimming help the fry find the parents you will want less water means less chance of them getting lost 8-)

bartek
Fri Oct 10, 2008, 12:46 AM
Should be right mate.

Its a 2ft tank but not a std size.

About 60cm x 50cm x 50cm with a wier in the corner which I don't use so in reality probably closer to 120L.

waitaki
Fri Oct 10, 2008, 11:09 AM
that sound perfect:)